Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Real Sport Utility
By Wilie KihotE

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned lots of suvs including 3 Jeeps. The Unlimited is the most capable. It can haul more inside than a Grand Cherokee. It tows my trailer with tractor easily. Lot of leg room front and rear. JK's are 4" wider so there is shoulder room. AC is powerful as is heater. The 6 speed is smooth shifting even when it is -11 outside. Nice stereo system. 1st birthday with 18,000 miles. Not a single problem. What else can you ask for? Bottom line: Where else can you get a 4door 4wd, convertible with a great ride and unlimited options for under 20 large? No wood, no leather, no separate climate control, no fleeting styling cues. Just solid performance.

stability control. On icy curvy roads, it keeps the front headed straight. Being able to quickly drop the soft top on a nice summer day and feel the wind on my skull. Being able to quickly pop the hardtop T tops in the fall. It drives better the worse the weather becomes.

Pull the 3.8 for a more powerful, & fuel efficient motor (think 3.8 Chevy or 4.0 six). Add the Mopar seat heaters as std or at least an option on the Sahara. Really is nice on long rides. Give us the option for 4.11 gears again.

Needs improvement
By Jason

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I will give credit to the fact that the new style rides and handles a lot better for everyday driving. The tractions control is a feature that should never have been added as I have found while pulling out into traffic on snowy roads the vehicle hesitates to get going and have almost been hit. There also seems to be a power band in every gear which gives it a sluggish feel when accelerating, not impressed!! I think the people at Chrysler should have just stuck with the 4.0 litre. The tire pressure sensor likes to come on when its cold out and the "Change oil" indicator comes on and doesn't shut off even after changing the oil?

Stereo system is nice, good ride, good stability, Warranty seems pretty good but haven't had to use it yet so we'll see.

More power to the wheels please!!! Fix that annoying power band. Get rid of all those sensors that inform you of low tire pressure and when to change your oil. If you are too retarded to not know when your next oil change is due or when your tire pressure is low, than maybe you shouldn't own a car!!

Water Leaks But Otherwise a Good Vehicle
By Bayrat

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love Jeeps, have owned them for years and find this one to be much "better" or more well rounded than previous models. The power of the V6 is barely adequate but with the stick it does OK. Not sure how one would do with less than the 4.11 gears in mine. Fit and finish is good, the paint is flawless. The seats are comfortable for my bad back, large enough to use my portable lumbar support. It rides better than previous models and handles well too, given it is built primarily for an off-road vehicle. Soccer moms, forget it, you would not find the rough ride is a good replacement for your Lincoln Navigator. The only problem I have had and continue to have is hardtop leaks.

I love the Wrangler, instant convertible or hardtop. This vehicle is rugged, none better if you like this type of rig. It handles well for what it is too. I am impressed by the traction control, hardly every use four wheel drive on the road since it is so good in rear wheel drive.

Could use a better top seal system to prevent water leaks. Suggest going back to the one-piece hardtop. Definitely needs a small V8, a HEMI conversion is 20K! Customer service could be better, the consumer line in India is a bit much. Still, despite its pitfalls, I love my Wrangler.

Likin' it
By azrljones

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Always wanted a Jeep but need an everyday drive vehicle. This feels the order now, rides smooth and low noise. Averaging around 20 MPG. I have the freedom hard top and was in the rain once (AZ) and car washes with no leaks. I was out this weekend and drove 1300 + miles and was very comfortable. Offroad capabilities speak for itself. I did some things that we held out breath. On the trip I drove over a mountain pass with over a foot of snow on the road and I didn't use/need four wheel drive. I love my Jeep.

Solid feel. Smooth ride with great turning circle. Freedom top, infinity sound system.

I like it maybe more engine power but it is a utility vehicle.

My first Jeep!
By Asartain29

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a Wrangler for a long time, and I finally purchased one in Feb. 2008. It is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2DR, steel blue metallic in color, BF Goodrich Mud Tires, Infinity sound system, satellite radio, wanted manual transmission but went with automatic. I have owned my jeep for almost a year and I love it. Have had no problems, and it is off-road all the time. It is a beast off-road, and is impossible to get stuck. I have went up inclines that would make most people urinate on themselves, and she has never once slipped. I have only had to use 4low twice. I am going to drive my jeep until the wheels fall off. I love having the top down, and the doors off. Buy One

Sound system, handling on and off- road, the way she will go through and over anything, Mud tires that come standard on Rubicons, more quite than jeeps of the past, really my favorite features are everything about it.

My on complaint is, like most other people, gas mileage.