Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

I Won't Miss It
By MyMistake

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Jeep Saraha Unlimited in August of '08. I traded my Honda Ridgeline because I wanted to drive American. Big mistake! The Jeep is very underpowered. If I even tow an empty 5x8 enclosed trailer, I know it is there. When I tow a single Waverunner the Jeep struggles and revs excessively. It is a good off road vehicle, if that is what you are looking for. I have had Jeeps before and this one was an improvement in areas like ride and interior comfort. Keep in mind that even with the longer wheelbase, the ride is still that of a Jeep. It is a lot of work to take it on a trip of 300 miles of more. It is affected by small amounts of wind and the interior is noisy. Not recommended by me.

Favorite Features

Navigation, remote starter, and trade in value. Some how they do retain their value very well. I also liked the three piece removable top.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy and performance need improved, but that would require a dramatic design change. When you have a rectangular box on top of a rectangular box you can't really expect fuel economy!

Real Sport Utility
By Wilie KihotE

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned lots of suvs including 3 Jeeps. The Unlimited is the most capable. It can haul more inside than a Grand Cherokee. It tows my trailer with tractor easily. Lot of leg room front and rear. JK's are 4" wider so there is shoulder room. AC is powerful as is heater. The 6 speed is smooth shifting even when it is -11 outside. Nice stereo system. 1st birthday with 18,000 miles. Not a single problem. What else can you ask for? Bottom line: Where else can you get a 4door 4wd, convertible with a great ride and unlimited options for under 20 large? No wood, no leather, no separate climate control, no fleeting styling cues. Just solid performance.

Favorite Features

stability control. On icy curvy roads, it keeps the front headed straight. Being able to quickly drop the soft top on a nice summer day and feel the wind on my skull. Being able to quickly pop the hardtop T tops in the fall. It drives better the worse the weather becomes.

Suggested Improvements

Pull the 3.8 for a more powerful, & fuel efficient motor (think 3.8 Chevy or 4.0 six). Add the Mopar seat heaters as std or at least an option on the Sahara. Really is nice on long rides. Give us the option for 4.11 gears again.

my 2nd Jeep
By jane the greek

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I am pretty content with this 4 door box. I also have a 2 door 99 Cherokee se that has the in line six. That Cherokee has 150k on it and still runs like a champ! It also influenced my decision on purchasing this new one i got. It's just awesome off the road.

Favorite Features

the freedom top is cool. Off road handling is very good. The YES fabric on the inside is very good & easy to clean if you have kids or you're just dirty. All around good vehicle

Suggested Improvements

The 3 pc hard top that needs to be perfectly aligned when being put back on. You can be a hair off and have rain leak onto your dash,radio etc. The inline 6 should also be an option. Painted wheel flares should also be an option on Sahara. Only after 3 washes & 1 lite off-roading scratches appeared.

No Question! Underpowered! But fun!
By idtpes

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

It really is a fun vehicle. Wife and kids love it. I put aftermarket muffler, cold air intake, throttle body spacer and I get 18.5 city, 25 highway, slight HP increase. Needs seat pockets, storage compartments lacks. Hit a deer, minor bumper damage, rest of vehicle was undamaged, can't say same about deer. Aftermarket supercharger is now available adding 125 HP...very expensive though. Chrysler, make the 4.7 L or a HEMI option avail! The hard top/soft top combo is very nice feature. passenger rear windows are engineered very well, the Velcro isn't very stable, at highway speeds they separate from the frame. mygig option is dynamite feature. Uconnect is disabled though.

Favorite Features

MYgig, hardtop/soft top combo, great looks, rides nice, very reliable thus far after 15k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Need I say more about it being UNDERPOWERED? Softop needs improvement in design. Needs more storage compartments.

Unlimited SAHARA
By doom trooper

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 08 UNLIMITED SAHARA it surprised me when I found out how quiet the ride is and how it has completely beaten the older models. I have owned 4x4's before both trucks and full size suvs and I will admit that they all had a good ride and handled well BUT this jeep beats them all. I showed my 08 unlimited Sahara to my cousin who still has an original CJ5 and he told me straight up that it completely beats his CJ in every way. He agrees with me that the removable hard top comes in handy in sunny worm weather.

Favorite Features

Removable hard top, smooth ride, good room, good looking exterior and interior, good mileage for the vehicle, and all around great design.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could use a little more power maybe a turbo or some kind of factory modifications.