Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

This is a little late
By vak1

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have been driving Jeeps since 1976 and my loyalty to this company is over. At 45,000 mile the problems on this Jeep are too numerous to mention. I hope that people who read this and other reviews will seriously take heed before purchasing a Wrangler.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

To Chrysler, Talk to the consumer before you put something out on the market.

2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 door X
By dstanzini

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Must say I love this Jeep! I've had Jeeps my entire life from CJ 5's to now. This rides like a car. I've had no issues at all. Plenty of power, love the 6 speed stick, amazing turning radius. I must also say this; it get amazing gas mileage. I was certainly not expecting that. The last Jeep I had was a 2000 4 cylinder automatic and the best that got was about 18-19 MPG. This can get up to 24 on the highway, very surprising and unusual to get more than what the deal says. Maybe I just got a good one. But I am extremely pleased. Very fun to drive. I've only put about 60,000 on it so far as it is just a pleasure vehicle

Favorite Features

Great fuel Mileage, great turning radius, Very smooth ride for a Jeep, drives and rides like a car. Good power, transmission is really smooth. Nice stereo. Great, fun vehicle overall

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can suggest if when the stereo is up loud (with the top off) the overhead speaker cover rattles a little bit. A couple of well placed pieces of paper stopped it. But that is the only improvement I can think of. This is a great Jeep!

Deep Money Pit
By chezeppelin

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

i had my 08 wrangler x for four years. in those four years my emergency break broke ( right after the warranty expired of course), i had a leaky rear differential, there was a recall on the fuel tank because sometimes while filling up the gas would over flow and spill, and last but not least, my steering gear box went out. the steering gear box was a 700 dollar fix, too much if you ask me from a 4 year old vehicle. the steering gear box started going out relatively quickly, but the dealer refused to fix it because it technically still worked, when it finally went out around the 80k mile mark, i was in for a costly repair. the jk was loud on the highway, no room, rough, and a guzzler.

Suggested Improvements

do not lift your jk if you have one! if you want an off road toy, or even a "mall crawler" get an older tj, you'll be better off.

Rethinking My Loyalty to Jeep
By max888

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Initially purchased 2007 Wrangler 2- door X model. Freedom top (hard top) repeatedly leaked, despite many trip to the service dept at the dealership. Service manager told me, "They all leak," as though it should be expected. Jeep did a buy- back and shipped it back to Michigan. Replaced it with '08. Same thing--top and doors leaked like sieves. Repeated servicing, heavy-duty gaskets installed finally solved leakage problem. Next--the "death wobble." Not a new experience, as '95 Cherokee had done the same thing. Steering stabilizer replacement fixed the problem. Now, the dealership is telling me that at 54k m., the shocks are "seeping," steering damper "leaking." Want $800--NOT!

Favorite Features

4WD, small size, visibility--always liked Wranglers, but doubt I will buy another, since they've turned into CRAP.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign leaky Freedom top (if I had wanted a convertible, I would have bought one,) leaky doors, leaky windows, steering stabilizer (obviously a chronic and DANGEROUS problem for YEARS), and doors that allow water to pour into vehicle when it rains. Could use a bigger engine, too, IMO.

Its a Jeep
By lock3056

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2008 when it was new, I've had it 3 years and have no complaints yet. I think people seem to be confused about what under powered is. Its not a power thing its a gear ratio thing, I have a 6 speed Manual, its a Torque monster. While it may not run 12's in the Quarter mile it will pull a stump out of the ground. Love the Hard top, It is Quieter than our 2008 Cadillac CTS on and off the freeway. Great Family Vehicle. If acceleration is an Issue you can purchase a Bully dog tuner/gauge it makes a world of difference.

Favorite Features

Simple, Easy to repair, and the Freedom top is Awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Hood latches could be a little stronger but there is a safety latch preventing it from flying up if they do fail...