Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Water Leaks But Otherwise a Good Vehicle
By Bayrat

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love Jeeps, have owned them for years and find this one to be much "better" or more well rounded than previous models. The power of the V6 is barely adequate but with the stick it does OK. Not sure how one would do with less than the 4.11 gears in mine. Fit and finish is good, the paint is flawless. The seats are comfortable for my bad back, large enough to use my portable lumbar support. It rides better than previous models and handles well too, given it is built primarily for an off-road vehicle. Soccer moms, forget it, you would not find the rough ride is a good replacement for your Lincoln Navigator. The only problem I have had and continue to have is hardtop leaks.

Favorite Features

I love the Wrangler, instant convertible or hardtop. This vehicle is rugged, none better if you like this type of rig. It handles well for what it is too. I am impressed by the traction control, hardly every use four wheel drive on the road since it is so good in rear wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a better top seal system to prevent water leaks. Suggest going back to the one-piece hardtop. Definitely needs a small V8, a HEMI conversion is 20K! Customer service could be better, the consumer line in India is a bit much. Still, despite its pitfalls, I love my Wrangler.

My first Jeep!
By Asartain29

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a Wrangler for a long time, and I finally purchased one in Feb. 2008. It is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2DR, steel blue metallic in color, BF Goodrich Mud Tires, Infinity sound system, satellite radio, wanted manual transmission but went with automatic. I have owned my jeep for almost a year and I love it. Have had no problems, and it is off-road all the time. It is a beast off-road, and is impossible to get stuck. I have went up inclines that would make most people urinate on themselves, and she has never once slipped. I have only had to use 4low twice. I am going to drive my jeep until the wheels fall off. I love having the top down, and the doors off. Buy One

Favorite Features

Sound system, handling on and off- road, the way she will go through and over anything, Mud tires that come standard on Rubicons, more quite than jeeps of the past, really my favorite features are everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

My on complaint is, like most other people, gas mileage.

Tank of the road
By dave

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is great. With the right tires its great driving in all weather. Goes through everything with ease. Its the perfect truck for WNY weather. Snow driving couldn't be more fun. Road noise and wind noise are bad but it is a box. Awesome off road truck. Nice cause it can fit in small areas. Real easy to see all the way around the truck. Great breaks. No complaints other than noise and fuel mileage. Its a babe magnet. LOL

Favorite Features

Off road handling. Comes with hard and soft top. Nav system with 60 gigabytes of memory.

Suggested Improvements

Bring inline 6 back for more power.come with better ground clearance standard.

Nice, but Liked my CJ5 Better
By Maui Jeep

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is a Hawaii Jeep so the top is off a lot. Sunrider top is easy and quick. Still surprised by the poor gas mileage but it's improved to about 16 city and 22 highway with 5,000 miles on the odometer. I wanted the shorter model but the unlimited rides better. Back seat entry is best left to the kids. Can't see the wheel flairs so be careful around close quarters. Steering wheel diameter seems larger than what it needs to be. Maybe its my memory, but my 78 CJ5 was more of a kick to drive. Other 4WD I've owned: Toyota 4-Runner, Tundra PU, Chev Blazer and half ton PU.

Favorite Features

Cruising Maui with the top down. Park it anywhere. Off road capability.

Suggested Improvements

Make steering wheel smaller. Improve the gas mileage.

Rubicon or nothing!!!
By webou812

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Starting it up the first time,and driving off was awesome! Turned the first corner and hopped off road! Incredible!! on or ff road. I've owned lots of 4x4's including other jeeps, and this years 2008 jeep Rubicon has them all beat, hands down! If you can afford the Rubicon, get it with some of the new whistles and bells, power windows/locks in a jeep too cool! The new hardtop is a must it provides security, much warmer in the cold months, and best of all it comes apart in 3 pieces! I highly recommend this Jeep Rubicon!! Love the wheels too. All in all its hands down the best jeep I've ever seen, and the best 4x4 I've ever had! Don't forget to wave, It's a jeep thing!!!

Favorite Features

Power Windows, power locks, alarm, keyless entry, 7 spkr 360 something Watt, 6 disc, dvd, mp3, cdrw, cdr, cd infinity stereo, Cruise control, 32" wheels, soft rider softop that slides back, digital compass and outside temperature displays on the dash, even the cup holders have small rubber grips inside!

Suggested Improvements

More torque, needs a little more power starting off. little more leg room in the backseat on the 2dr models, better gas mileage with todays gas pump prices, should come with side steps, and at least the Rubicon should come with guards around all the light covers, still I'm very happy with my jeep!