2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Used ex-BLM Rubicon
By timbob55 on 06/13/14 09:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Rubicon two years ago with 50k miles. I've since put 49k miles on it. I found a couple receipts in the glove box that indicated it was owned by BLM. If I'd know that ahead of time I may not have purchased. but I'm glad I did. In the two years of heavy use I have owned it there has been no reliability issues. Performance: The 3.8 is a dog! Maybe it's better with a manual tranny. Comfort: This is the Cadillac of Wrangers. Very comfortable, car like ride. Value: expensive, but well equipped. Fun to drive: If it had more torque it would be great. Interior design: Its a Jeep Exterior design: I like the removeable fenders. Build qualilty: Its a Jeep Reliability: Great

125K - still going strong
By hlisle on 11/24/13 10:53 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is not a vehicle for anyone - it is not a luxury vehicle, though the price suggests otherwise. 1) Terrible on the highway - unless it is blizzard! Good news is that you won't be pushing it so hard to get a speeding ticket... 2) Not a mudder - don't buy this vehicle in Florida/South Georgia thinking you have a mudding truck... Nuhnt uh... 3) Shift linkages are 25 cent pieces of dung...

Appalled...
By jrut1 on 10/30/12 08:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a used Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 45k miles. By 65,000 I'm totally disgusted. I had planned to drive this thing until it was dead. No idea it would happen so soon. It's a jeep, with the looks and the fun to drive aspect. And that's where it ends. I've had: - cracked exhaust manifold - o2sensors go out - catalytic converter go out (thank g-d a federal warranty makes these guys fix it!) - radio (xm/Sirius) go out - repeated "hot oil" (transmission) warnings during MILD 4WD - roof leaks I bought this vehicle thinking it would be a rugged, reliable vehicle that would last as long as I kept fluids clean. Whoops. One time buyer...

By chez on 04/21/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the second Jeep I have owned. By far the best ride, but there are too many Plastic parts (i. e. the skid plate, grill, and door interior). I improved my mileage by 3 mpg and horsepower by 23 with after market products. Great off road performance. A joy to drive.

From CJ to JK
By J3-Colt on 03/24/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Jeep is our 8th in 20 years, and it's quite an improvement over the previous generations going back to our very first CJ-7. We use our Jeeps as daily drivers and they spend a considerable amount of time off-road, camping, hunting, fishing, and exploring. Jeep has made the Wrangler more comfortable in all aspects, plus it's still highly modifiable (like a big Lego set) and we have purpose built ours to fit our specific needs. If you demand luxury and on-road perfection, then this model is not for you; however, if you need a 4 door with above average off-road prowess (and can embrace the inherent quarks found in an open top Jeep), then this is the perfect vehicle for you.

best hunting vehicle there is
By J.B.D.S. on 11/12/08 20:21 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Jeep is great I have been a truck guy all my life and was looking at new vehicles and decided to try the 4 door Rubicon. I am loving it goes more places then my fx4 ever thought about going doesn't bottom out over the tx terrian when I'm going to the deer stand. I got the hard top wish I had the soft top also for summer looking to buy one my wife didn't want me to buy this and now she drives it more then I do going to have to trade her car in for a another one I recomend this vehicle to anyone. Took it to sedona az in the mountains and it was great no problems did anything I wanted to do. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned keeping till the wheels fall off.

Jeep J-J-Jeep
By ScottR on 10/12/08 16:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

As soon as Jeep came out with the Unlimited (4-door) Wranglers, I knew I wanted one. I only have 2000 miles on it so far and can't really comment on reliability (been great so far!). Otherwise I love it! Design gets all 10s from me -- from the outside in, it's a Jeep! And the drivetrain seems to be as solid as they claim. Love the freedom tops. Sound system is much better than older Wranglers. Road noise with the hard top is not bad, which surprised me. Handles well on highway at 80+ MPH, which is also surprising (though it wanders a bit). I'm a big guy, and interior is very comfortable for me. Fuel economy? I gave it a 10 because it meets my expectations. It's a Jeep, not a Toyota.

Brand spanking new Rubicon in shop 3x
By maynard on 08/25/08 23:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Alright so my husband talked me into this vehicle and heck it is fun to drive, when it actually works. I have less than 4000 miles and already the jeep has been to the shop 3 times due to all the indicator lights coming on and the gauges not working (speedometer, rpm) while I was driving. Then once you turn the car off, it won't start. I have called the customer service department and they expect you to keep running it back and forth to the shop to get it fixed while you are paying your car note and insurance.I am hoping that this will be resolved but I have to say be weary to those who are interested in this vehicle. anyone else with this issue?

The Rubicon That Replaced the Minivan
By Rex Johnson on 08/25/08 02:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We are a family of five and most people with a penchant for traveling and camping would have opted for a Caravan or SUV offering a little more space. We were being pushed towards a Durango, but insisted that we go with the Jeep. We had a Jeep Cherokee in the past and missed her greatly and with the new four-door option, it was a no brainer. We grabbed the 08 Unlimited Rubicon and we are not sorry. After logging over 23,000 km on our Jeep green machine, we are definitely considering it to be a "Ruby". We travel between Ontario and B.C. through all types of weather and this vehicle has saved our skins countless times. With it's ESP and 4x4 overkill. It is the ultimate family ride!

2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (3.8L)
By Eddie on 08/18/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Jeep and I love it! I am pleasantly surprised with the handling and power because of all the articles I read which advocated the lack of power. Further, I was worried about fuel consumption; however, this jeep gets better mileage in both city and highway then my Toyota Tacoma, 4x4 TRD. I have a six speed which may negate a lot of the issues surfaced by other owners... The bottom line is that it's an American made vehicle that looks and drives great!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.