2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 door X
By dstanzini on 02/19/14 04:03 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Must say I love this Jeep! I've had Jeeps my entire life from CJ 5's to now. This rides like a car. I've had no issues at all. Plenty of power, love the 6 speed stick, amazing turning radius. I must also say this; it get amazing gas mileage. I was certainly not expecting that. The last Jeep I had was a 2000 4 cylinder automatic and the best that got was about 18-19 MPG. This can get up to 24 on the highway, very surprising and unusual to get more than what the deal says. Maybe I just got a good one. But I am extremely pleased. Very fun to drive. I've only put about 60,000 on it so far as it is just a pleasure vehicle

Deep Money Pit
By chezeppelin on 03/14/12 20:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

i had my 08 wrangler x for four years. in those four years my emergency break broke ( right after the warranty expired of course), i had a leaky rear differential, there was a recall on the fuel tank because sometimes while filling up the gas would over flow and spill, and last but not least, my steering gear box went out. the steering gear box was a 700 dollar fix, too much if you ask me from a 4 year old vehicle. the steering gear box started going out relatively quickly, but the dealer refused to fix it because it technically still worked, when it finally went out around the 80k mile mark, i was in for a costly repair. the jk was loud on the highway, no room, rough, and a guzzler.

This is a little late
By vak1 on 01/18/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have been driving Jeeps since 1976 and my loyalty to this company is over. At 45,000 mile the problems on this Jeep are too numerous to mention. I hope that people who read this and other reviews will seriously take heed before purchasing a Wrangler.

Its a Jeep
By lock3056 on 04/07/11 17:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2008 when it was new, I've had it 3 years and have no complaints yet. I think people seem to be confused about what under powered is. Its not a power thing its a gear ratio thing, I have a 6 speed Manual, its a Torque monster. While it may not run 12's in the Quarter mile it will pull a stump out of the ground. Love the Hard top, It is Quieter than our 2008 Cadillac CTS on and off the freeway. Great Family Vehicle. If acceleration is an Issue you can purchase a Bully dog tuner/gauge it makes a world of difference.

Rethinking My Loyalty to Jeep
By max888 on 08/23/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Initially purchased 2007 Wrangler 2- door X model. Freedom top (hard top) repeatedly leaked, despite many trip to the service dept at the dealership. Service manager told me, "They all leak," as though it should be expected. Jeep did a buy- back and shipped it back to Michigan. Replaced it with '08. Same thing--top and doors leaked like sieves. Repeated servicing, heavy-duty gaskets installed finally solved leakage problem. Next--the "death wobble." Not a new experience, as '95 Cherokee had done the same thing. Steering stabilizer replacement fixed the problem. Now, the dealership is telling me that at 54k m., the shocks are "seeping," steering damper "leaking." Want $800--NOT!

NOT STOCK!
By DK on 04/01/10 23:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

My jeep is highly modified i.e.-motor performance bolt-ons, bumpers, tires(37"tall), 4' lift, 5.13 gears, dual steering stabilizers, etc. I love off roading it and all the looks I get driving on the street. Big fun in a small package. However I have many other rigs to drive on a daily basis better suited to my needs depending on what I am doing. This jeep is for fun only! It is not the best only rig to have.

Wrangler Right Hand Drive
By 08WranglerRHD on 03/10/10 15:09 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Jeep new in September of 2007 to replace my 98' right hand drive Cherokee. I owned the Jeep less than two months when the first problem occurred. The removable roof panel on the right side developed a leak. The warranty covered the repair. The next problem wasn't until February of 09' at 38k miles,out of my warranty period, the horn stopped working. I had the repair made in September of 2009 at 52k miles when the airbag light came on. I called Chrysler and filed a complaint once I found it to be a faulty clockspring inside the steering column, they covered my repair due to safety concerns. The last problem occurred in December of 09' at 60k when the water pump went out.

REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT BUT..
By Anthony on 02/02/10 20:29 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the Jeep thinking it would be a tough, fun, dependable vehicle. It turned out anything but. Many problems, several of which the dealer won't warranty. Shakes and gets "death wobble" over bumps which is very scary and makes the vehicle undriveable. I really wanted to like this vehicle but the build quality is just too poor. On the plus side the top and doors come off, but the fun is defeated by the poor build and scary ride.

A car you have to own... for two years
By CEOofTNFYA on 02/01/10 18:43 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This iconic vehicle is the most fun you can have driving under 20mph. The design will never get old and the amount of bad weather confidence you gain by getting behind the wheel of this beast is unmatched. The deeper the snow the more I wanted to go out. I think it drives better in the deep stuff than on a clear road. That is also the problem. It is incredibly loud at highway speed, the hood will lift up and slam down in the wind, and it needs constant input to keep in a straight line. This is the least practical vehicle on the road but one you simply have to own at some point in your life. Left me stranded at 2500 miles due to faulty fuel gauge, took 11 days to fix. No confidence in brand

better than the sahara
By Orlando on 10/23/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X model for less than six months and so far it is great. the top comes down and goes up in less than three minutes. i made a few improvements, changed the tires to M/T's (old ones were slippery in the heavy rain). added a brush guard, side rails, rear bumper and seat covers. all for less than $3500.00. i spent a total of 21500.00 with all the upgrades and it looks far better than a stock sahara that cost 25k or more. would recommend the x over sahara or rubicon( make your own improvements and save money)

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.