Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Used ex-BLM Rubicon
By timbob55

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Rubicon two years ago with 50k miles. I've since put 49k miles on it. I found a couple receipts in the glove box that indicated it was owned by BLM. If I'd know that ahead of time I may not have purchased. but I'm glad I did. In the two years of heavy use I have owned it there has been no reliability issues. Performance: The 3.8 is a dog! Maybe it's better with a manual tranny. Comfort: This is the Cadillac of Wrangers. Very comfortable, car like ride. Value: expensive, but well equipped. Fun to drive: If it had more torque it would be great. Interior design: Its a Jeep Exterior design: I like the removeable fenders. Build qualilty: Its a Jeep Reliability: Great

Front and rear lockers. Electronic disconned sway bar.

The newer ones, 2011+ I think, have the 3.6l engine which is much more fun to drive, so that takes care of the lack of torque.

Waa waa waa!
By ranchez

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my 2008 Jeep since it was new and love it. I see a lot of complaints here about comfort, noise, ride and acceleration. All I can say is that maybe they thought they were buying an Escalade. You don't buy a Wrangler for luxury, zero-road-noise, or racing from the light. You buy it to take on any off-road terrain you throw at it and crawl through the ick that would sink an Escalade to its axles. You also buy it to pull out the idiots who buy the other "SUVs" and try to drive them like a Jeep. Maybe you should sell your Jeep to someone who knows what it is and go buy a quiet, squishy little soccer-parent wagon.

Open air driving. Growly, low gear, super-crawler performance. Superb gear-hauling capacity. No-frills basic do-it-all capabilities. increased self-esteem from NOT driving an SUV wanna-be.

More care taken in screening buyers?

2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 door X
By dstanzini

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Must say I love this Jeep! I've had Jeeps my entire life from CJ 5's to now. This rides like a car. I've had no issues at all. Plenty of power, love the 6 speed stick, amazing turning radius. I must also say this; it get amazing gas mileage. I was certainly not expecting that. The last Jeep I had was a 2000 4 cylinder automatic and the best that got was about 18-19 MPG. This can get up to 24 on the highway, very surprising and unusual to get more than what the deal says. Maybe I just got a good one. But I am extremely pleased. Very fun to drive. I've only put about 60,000 on it so far as it is just a pleasure vehicle

Great fuel Mileage, great turning radius, Very smooth ride for a Jeep, drives and rides like a car. Good power, transmission is really smooth. Nice stereo. Great, fun vehicle overall

The only thing I can suggest if when the stereo is up loud (with the top off) the overhead speaker cover rattles a little bit. A couple of well placed pieces of paper stopped it. But that is the only improvement I can think of. This is a great Jeep!

125K - still going strong
By hlisle

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is not a vehicle for anyone - it is not a luxury vehicle, though the price suggests otherwise. 1) Terrible on the highway - unless it is blizzard! Good news is that you won't be pushing it so hard to get a speeding ticket... 2) Not a mudder - don't buy this vehicle in Florida/South Georgia thinking you have a mudding truck... Nuhnt uh... 3) Shift linkages are 25 cent pieces of dung...

I have gone in amazing places with this vehicle - in North Georgia, to back trails... Un-stoppable!... Except in lots of water/mud...

In '08, I wish the 3.6 was available -but since I've owned since new, I can see eventually dropping a 5.7 hemi in it for more fun... Diesel would be welcome too! This is not a vehicle to get for "image" - it is for the true off road enthusiast.

SO DISAPPOINTED
By sbunker

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

So after my divorce, I really needed something that was rugged enough for me to take camping, pull my dirt bike trailer with dirt bike, but still be a fun car. I feel like such a fool for having picked this jeep. My brakes were toast before 25,000 - oil was ridiculous... always always low, I have done more oil changes-no leaks-Right rear caliper sheered off, thunking down the road... Unbelievable quality issues, leaks almost from day one, have had it in the shop they replaced the foam, still leaks. Now I take it in, will not honor Lifetime warranty. I was off on the inspection that was on this piece of paper. Not in the warranty manual.Call Chrysler-no assist. Sucks would never own again

Don't make crap! You provide false hope by the "Lifetime powertrain warranty". Just make a good quality item........... Concept of Jeep is amazing...quality sucks suck sucks. Now I own a worthless vehicle, single mom, two jobs.