Used 2007 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

High Oil Consumption
By trixie8

2007 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Good car, very poor build quality and Chrysler will not stand behind fixing engine issues.

Favorite Features

4x4 and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

My issue is the large amount of oil used, 1 qt used per 2500 miles. This is what the dealership and jeep told me. NORMAL OIL CONSUMPTION: Below are industry standards for normal engine oil consumption: Mileage below 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven. Mileage above 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven. So, as long as a jeep with 50000 or more miles on it does not use more than a quart of oil every 750 miles they do not care, and they will not fix it. I was also told that why new Jeeps take 6 qt's since they use so much oil. I even have a warranty and they still will not fix it. There are no oil leaks and I have had 2 oil consumption test ran on the vehicle by the dealership. The dealership and Chrysler will not help fix the problem. I was told by the dealership that I am lucky it does not use a quart of oil every 1000 miles, since it may get low enough to burn the engine up in under 2500 miles.

WILL ALWAYS HAVE @ LEAST ONE IN MY GARAGE!
By traveler55

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Was very hesitant to buy American, as I am a devout Toyota guy, but the new FJ Cruiser didn't offer everything I wanted(especially a soft top). Also neede more room inside, so the new unlimited fit the bill. Bought it used in 2010 w/27,000 mi. on it. Have only had to do normal maintenance so far on it. Brakes, oil, belt, fluids, etc. I am big on preventative maint. anyway, so hopefully I won't have too many issues that are unexpected. I also tow a tent camper with it, and it tows very well. Gearing is for off-road, so it shifts a little more than a pick-up, etc., but all-in-all, tows well. By the way this is an automatic, but wasn't a choice. .Wife can't drive stick. Oh well.

Favorite Features

The soft top is the [violative content deleted]! If anyone thinks that they don't work well in the winter, I can tell you they are wrong. You just have to be careful if you are getting more than a foot of heavy stuff, as that is a lot of weight for the top and frame. Off-road capability has impressed me for sure. For being so heavy, you wouldn't even know it when off the pavement. The new engine for 2007 has plenty of power. I know the die hards, including myself, love an inline six, but this engine easily does the job. The Jeep wave, and conversation when meeting other Jeep owners, I have to say, is cool too.

Suggested Improvements

More cubbies and holes to stash stuff in the front. Factory lock for the hood. Higher, deeper center console, and more water coverage for the radio and instrument panel on the dash. Factory water-proof seat covers. Other than that, I think Jeep gives you what you need to have fun.

Death Wobble Unacceptable!
By k7su

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased a pre-owned 2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited in Feb.2011 with 16,000 miles. About a week later the front end would go into a bad shimmy when I hit a little bump. It was out of warranty so I took it to a local 4x4 suspension shop. He knew all about the death wobble. We tried a heftier steering damper, new cam bolts, rotating and balancing tires...nothing fixed it. I read about it on the forums after it happened to me and saw the problems with the death wobble so I figured it was pointless for me to try to spend more money on it. I traded it for a Toyota 4Runner. Too bad Chrysler. That was my 7th Jeep product. No more for me!

Favorite Features

Looks, interior, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the front end before someone gets hurt or killed!

almost a home run
By tangoromeo

2007 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

With only minor improvements (2 1/2" lift kit, 33" tires, and a 10,000 lb winch), I have used and abused this Jeep for everything I could imagine doing in a vehicle. It's pulled tree stumps, dragged an F350 out of the mud, driven through flooded areas and snow, and it never quits on me.

Favorite Features

I love taking the top and doors off, and the 6-speed blows the doors off of the cell-phone-chatting 'obstacles' that I have to deal with during my daily commute. And I can't complain about a stereo that's audible when I'm going 65 mph with no top or doors.

Suggested Improvements

My Wrangler didn't come with tow hooks from the factory, and the street tires it came with were garbage. The back seat was a pain to get to, but for me it was just in the way. i pulled it out and sold it on eBay.

Don't make 'em like they used to
By Corben

2007 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Cheap. Everything about the new JK Jeep screams cheap. As a previous owner of 2 TJs (1999 and 2004 models), here's a list of things that bugged the hell out of me on the 2007 JK model. -Neither front seat flips up. The 1999 model, both seats rocked forward to allow easier access to the rear seat. The 2004 model, only the front passenger seat did so. The 2007, neither did making it extremely difficult to get into the back seat. -Rear window on soft top attaches with plastic clips which work poorly. The TJ models had the clips manufactured into part of the body. -Cheap feel to the whole vehicle. 2" speakers jut out of the dash - tacky. -Bumpers look cheap, crumple under a small rub.

Favorite Features

Brand name, which is sullied by this entry into the market. Might as well bring back the square headlights from the YJs. I loved getting 14 mpg! (Not)

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the TJs, implement hybrid technology, and maybe I'll look at a Jeep again in the future. /jeep wave off