Used 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Loved it, but too many problems
By formerjeeper

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I was really hoping to keep my Rubicon for a long time, but it just had too many problems for only 40k miles. A couple of recalls, ball joints, gasket leaks, power module gone, and on and on. Also, the radio was toast towards the end. Finally, the body was starting to show rust spots, lots of them. Come on. Cars don't really rust anymore.. I enjoyed driving it, and it was great in the snow, but the quality control issues killed all of the fun stuff for me. I just traded it in for a new SUV, as my warranty was off, and I need something much more reliable. This could however, make a great second car.

Favorite Features

Excellent 4WD. The pop-off tops were a great feature. Also, the seat materials were cool

Suggested Improvements

Major improvements in quality control and reliability are needed. Rusting after 2 years is unacceptable. The other electronic and mechanical issues, after 30-40k miles are also unacceptable. Unfortunately, I could not recommend this vehicle based on reliability.

A blast to drive!
By Cody

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Jeep! This is the first one I have owned, but when I was little mom had one. It deff takes me back 20 years and I love it as much now as I did then! Door off, top down is the best! Not a lot of power in this little Jeep but I didn't buy it for that. Handling is really good and ride quality is surprisingly great!

Favorite Features

The ride quality and open air! Those are my 2 fave parts. Plus with fuel mileage around 18-19, I can't complain.

Suggested Improvements

Power. The 202hp engine feels more like 02hp. Could use about 50 more ponies under the hood.

Offroading
By James

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven my Rubicon through mud pits, up 50 degree slops, up rock banks after driving through rivers and almost nothing has stopped it. It's gas mileage is miserable compared to my old BMW. I get around 15 miles to the gallon, yet it's well worth the trade considering the hauling ability. Removing the back seat I was hauling 70 pumpkins in the back and putting my friends F-250 to shame. The reliability is amazing as well, and it is extremely easy to change the oil and do minor work. I love putting all the Hummer owners to shame when they realize they spent 15,000 more on a vehicle nowhere near as good as my Rubicon.

Favorite Features

The front and rear lockers stock are absolutely amazing. I can't even tell you how many times those have gotten me through spots where everyone else has gotten bogged down or stuck. The electronic sway bar disconnect gives me the ability to out rock crawl anyone.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat sits too high to see easily out of the back.

2007 Rubicon, Loads of Fun
By Bighaeb

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm on my 4th Wrangler, and so far, I'm not overly impressed with the reliability of my Wrangler or the build quality. It has spent 2 solid weeks in the shop since march, and will be going in again this week for more horrible noises coming from the engine compartment. Besides that, the offroad abilities far surpass my previous Wranglers, even past Rubicons. On road, the 07 has much better road manners, though it's still going to be a bit squirrly from the short wheelbase. Engine power is lacking a bit. Could use about 20 more horses or so. Transmission is smooth (I have the 6 speed). I live in Denver, and maybe that is why it seems sluggish. Compared to the 4 litre, it's a bit weak.

Favorite Features

Redesigned in and out, nicer audio system, I dig the new BFG mud terrains instead of the Goodyears. Electric Sway bar disconnects are very convienent, and of course, off road capabilities that cannot be surpassed by any other vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic would have been nice, but that can be fixed by purchasing off road bumpers. More HP/TQ would be great (V8 or diesel) and more low end torque. If you're into the Wranglers, and you're going to go offroad, get the Rubicon, you won't regret it. Hope they get the bugs worked out soon

2007 Wrangler Rubicon
By Justin

2007 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Hands down, the 2007 Wrangler Rubicon is the most capable civilian production vehicle in the world. Period. The front and rear locking differentials that come standard do their jobs, as does the electronically disconnecting front swaybar. In terms of on road comfort, you can tell that it's designed to be driven offroad, but it's still super-fun to drive. The tight steering makes is a joy to park and maneuver in town, while allowing you to dodge trees on the trail (or to create your own trail). The seats are very comfortable, the radio is great for it's being waterproof, and who can turn down the ability to drive anywhere you want...with the top and doors off no less.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, Freedom Top, front and rear locking diffs, 32" MT-Rs standard, Front swaybar disconnect, 73:1 crawl ratio.

Suggested Improvements

Ummm...make the windshield flat again so that it folds flush with the hood; you don't buy a Wrangler to compete with the Prius.