2006 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Too Late The Hero

2006 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Too Late The Hero
By Dave Redler on

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler model; you know, topless summer fun. I remember test driving the then new Rubicon Model but it was too rough riding. I waited for the Unlimited version and finally bought the top-of-the-line model; the best of everything (all options & the automatic trannny). It's cutsie and all, but I guess the crux of the story is that wanting is often times more pleasurable than having. I'm having a hard time readjusting from a full-size pickup to the small, narrow, cramped & difficult time getting in & out & the long drives. DC did a good job on the build-quality, very quiet & smooth riding but for you ol' timers getting long-in-the-tooth you may rethink it.

The dual-top option is a must for those planning on year 'round driving. Even with those knobby tires, it runs as smooth & quiet at 75 as 35. With my custom added options: matching color WWII Willys Jeep Military STAR decals and the stick-on bullet holes, & the top down, it's a real head turner!

I'm curious to how the new 2007 revised model will look; hopefully, DC will take in to consideration more cockpit/elbow room and ease of in & out. Also, it's time for a new powerplant; both for more HP/torque but especially fuel economy: it really stinks for such a small light SUV. Make it better.