Used 2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Fun, Fun, Fun
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This Unlimited Rubicon is so much fun to drive. It looks very sharp and it looks much better than the new '07' design. The best thing about this Jeep is it is a convertible. The soft top is super for the beach and summer driving. The hard top is best for winter. I took the Jeep 101 course offered through the dealership and it really showed me what my Jeep was capable of doing off-road. I feel very safe in this Jeep...much safer than in the standard wheel base model. The longer wheelbase "feels" safer on the highway and provides a better ride.

My favorite feature has to be the convertible top. Nothing beats riding with the soft top down. The whole atmosphere of fun associated with this Rubicon makes it a great vehicle. It is also very dependable.

Better gas mileage! The "06" manual 6-speed does not match the other 6 cylinder automatic transmission models for fuel economy. I expected the 20+ mpg that I got in my other 6 cylinder Wranglers but I haven't got close to this yet.

Good Plain Fun
By chunter

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's just fun to have. My midlife crisis toy.

The 4wd of course, but also the classic Jeep styling.

Split folding rear seat.

Rubicon for the family
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Jeep, 3rd Wrangler, and 2nd Rubicon. The Rubicon is such a great off-road and fun vacation vehicle that my family selected to upgrade for the space in this Unlimited model. The decrease in MPG in this model was disappointing (23mpg down to 18) however, the extra space has paid off for the 2 kids and dog. My wife loves it so much she took the Jeep 101 course through the dealer and local Jeep Club and now she loves it even more. She became familiar with "lockers". My 8 year old daughter plans to own this Jeep when she reaches 16. I can't blame her. Great Jeep. Great off road. Great for PA winters and traveling the mountains during hunting season. This Jeep is a keeper.

The styling is exceptional. We purchased the '06 since we didn't want the '07 body style. Off-roading is a MUST for this vehicle to truly appreciate this Jeep. Favorite feature = it's a convertible. Add the great stereo and your family is set for fun in the sun. Safety in bad weather is a given.

Better MPG. I understand it is an off-road vehicle but the technology is out there...use it. Seats are low and "blocks" make a huge difference and are highly recommended. Too late to keep the styling original but this can only make these Rubicon Unlimited models more desired by off-roaders.

why does it continually leak water
By steve

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the vehicle in August of '06 and now, in December, it has already been in the shop 4 times for a total of 32 days. Before I had purchased this vehicle I had wanted to own one for years. Now all I want to do is get rid of the headache. It's still not fixed and it does not seem that it ever will be. The dealership wants to keep trying to "fix" the issue, but it's never going to be done properly.

I have my own swimming pool on wheels.

Needs better seals and weatherproofing to ensure that you have to exit the vehicle before you need an umbrella.

First time Jeep owner
By R. Tilghman

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in a 1992 Mercedes 300SL for a 2006 Rubicon. I've driven SL class MB for 20 years. My friends were shocked. The bottom line is I love the Rubicon and have no regrets on the trade. The simplicity of the design and excellent build quality are great. Mileage is only about 16.5 mpg. The highway ride is surprising compliant considering the offroad capabilities. Maneuverability in tight areas is outstanding. The fun factor is +10. The Rubicon has already proved to be a versatile work horse at our farm. Aftermarket parts support is amazing and one of the reason I selected a Jeep. "It's a Jeep thing" has real meaning to me now.

Simplicity of design is my favorite feature. The Rubicon's beefy drivetrain is so robust it makes keeping the vehicle +20 years a legitimate option. I wanted the last year of the TJ because it's destined to be an instant collector's classic.

It's tough to find fault. My only improvement suggestion is the stereo speakers are a little weak on sound quality.