Used 2006 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Poor mileage
By Afficiendo

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Wrangler is in a class all by itself. It's fun to drive, iconic, easy to maneuver and has the perfect blend of technology with simplicity. You will never know how much all that technology is really unnecessary and annoying until you have owned a Wrangler. Nonetheless, my Wrangler gets terrible gas mileage.

4WD, ground clearance, articulation of suspension, maneuverability.

No vehicle this small should get 13 to 16 MPG. You just breathe on the gas pedal and the gas gauge moves. The 4.0 6 cylinder is reliable and extraordinary off-road, but it is also inexcusably inefficient. With a 19 gallon tank, one cannot get too far off of the pavement.

It's definitely a Jeep thing!
By Terminator

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love this Jeep. It is amazing what it can do off road. One of my favorite things to do is ride with the top down and the doors off. I have been impressed with how reliable this vehicle has been. I have had better service with this Jeep than I have had with my high end imports. I now have 20k on it and it's still going with no issues.

The option to take the doors off.

None.

Great Vehicle
By Anthony

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle and it rides better than the short wheel base version. I have already driven it from the east coast out to Kansas City. It works great in the mountains or on the coast. I did have a leaking door seal that took a while for the dealership to figure what was leaking and from where, but once they found it they fixed it very quickly.

Having the dual top feature is great. You can put on the hard top during the winter months and really helps keep the heat in and the cold out.

Gas mileage is deffinitely an issue with gas prices the way they are. I installed an Airaid Cold Air Intake System and it helps out a lot on the highway. It adds about 2-3 miles per gallon. It doesn't really help out a whole lot in the city though. If you travel a lot like I do it is worth it.

Off-road king
By jeeper

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Unlimited Rubicon for almost a year and love it! I am a hard-core off-roader and I find the Unlimited the perfect compromise for someone with a child and a need to drive to work 5 days a week. The lockers in the Rubi take me everywhere, and the extra cargo space hold all my gear. I'm a Jeeper and added a small lift and bigger tires after a few months. Getting stuck is a thing of the past. I've put this thing up the side of mountains in the National Forest in 1.5 feet of snow and over rocks the size of cars. It isn't the most refined, quite, or comfortable, it's a Jeep

Long wheelbase. Extra cargo space. Extra 2" rear legroom fits a carseat fine with a front passenger. Lockers. Solid Dana44 axles front and rear. Reliable, and torque ample 4.0L

Mileage - It's a hog. I get 12-15 city and 14-16 highway. Low hanging center skidplate

Winter Driving Must Have a Jeep
By DAC

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We are just finishing clean up after the storm that closed I-78 and schools for days. This Rubicon Unlimited just paid for itself. It drove us safely through and over the ice covered snow on roads that were a nightmare. The 4 wheel high was enough...no need for low gear or the lockers. We were able to go to work, help neighbors, and keep going when the rest of the area was shut down. This jeep just proved why we need one. It provided safety and security in bad weather to equal the fun and enjoyment in good weather. Now when people ask why we need an SUV, we simply refer to the storm of 2007...enough said.

GREAT in the snow and winter weather. Unbeatable with the top down. So much fun.

Gas mileage is still bad but who cares when you are getting 13+ mpg in 4 wheel drive while others can't get out of their driveways. Still, better gas mileage wouldn't hurt say, 20 town, 25 highway would be great rather than the 15-16 local and 18-19 highway that we get. Keep the Jeep a Jeep!