2006 Jeep Wrangler SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2006 Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sort Reviews by

Poor mileage
By Afficiendo

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Wrangler is in a class all by itself. It's fun to drive, iconic, easy to maneuver and has the perfect blend of technology with simplicity. You will never know how much all that technology is really unnecessary and annoying until you have owned a Wrangler. Nonetheless, my Wrangler gets terrible gas mileage.

Favorite Features

4WD, ground clearance, articulation of suspension, maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

No vehicle this small should get 13 to 16 MPG. You just breathe on the gas pedal and the gas gauge moves. The 4.0 6 cylinder is reliable and extraordinary off-road, but it is also inexcusably inefficient. With a 19 gallon tank, one cannot get too far off of the pavement.

It's definitely a Jeep thing!
By Terminator

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love this Jeep. It is amazing what it can do off road. One of my favorite things to do is ride with the top down and the doors off. I have been impressed with how reliable this vehicle has been. I have had better service with this Jeep than I have had with my high end imports. I now have 20k on it and it's still going with no issues.

Favorite Features

The option to take the doors off.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Great Vehicle
By Anthony

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle and it rides better than the short wheel base version. I have already driven it from the east coast out to Kansas City. It works great in the mountains or on the coast. I did have a leaking door seal that took a while for the dealership to figure what was leaking and from where, but once they found it they fixed it very quickly.

Favorite Features

Having the dual top feature is great. You can put on the hard top during the winter months and really helps keep the heat in and the cold out.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is deffinitely an issue with gas prices the way they are. I installed an Airaid Cold Air Intake System and it helps out a lot on the highway. It adds about 2-3 miles per gallon. It doesn't really help out a whole lot in the city though. If you travel a lot like I do it is worth it.

Off-road king
By jeeper

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Unlimited Rubicon for almost a year and love it! I am a hard-core off-roader and I find the Unlimited the perfect compromise for someone with a child and a need to drive to work 5 days a week. The lockers in the Rubi take me everywhere, and the extra cargo space hold all my gear. I'm a Jeeper and added a small lift and bigger tires after a few months. Getting stuck is a thing of the past. I've put this thing up the side of mountains in the National Forest in 1.5 feet of snow and over rocks the size of cars. It isn't the most refined, quite, or comfortable, it's a Jeep

Favorite Features

Long wheelbase. Extra cargo space. Extra 2" rear legroom fits a carseat fine with a front passenger. Lockers. Solid Dana44 axles front and rear. Reliable, and torque ample 4.0L

Suggested Improvements

Mileage - It's a hog. I get 12-15 city and 14-16 highway. Low hanging center skidplate

Winter Driving Must Have a Jeep
By DAC

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We are just finishing clean up after the storm that closed I-78 and schools for days. This Rubicon Unlimited just paid for itself. It drove us safely through and over the ice covered snow on roads that were a nightmare. The 4 wheel high was enough...no need for low gear or the lockers. We were able to go to work, help neighbors, and keep going when the rest of the area was shut down. This jeep just proved why we need one. It provided safety and security in bad weather to equal the fun and enjoyment in good weather. Now when people ask why we need an SUV, we simply refer to the storm of 2007...enough said.

Favorite Features

GREAT in the snow and winter weather. Unbeatable with the top down. So much fun.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is still bad but who cares when you are getting 13+ mpg in 4 wheel drive while others can't get out of their driveways. Still, better gas mileage wouldn't hurt say, 20 town, 25 highway would be great rather than the 15-16 local and 18-19 highway that we get. Keep the Jeep a Jeep!

Fun, Fun, Fun
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This Unlimited Rubicon is so much fun to drive. It looks very sharp and it looks much better than the new '07' design. The best thing about this Jeep is it is a convertible. The soft top is super for the beach and summer driving. The hard top is best for winter. I took the Jeep 101 course offered through the dealership and it really showed me what my Jeep was capable of doing off-road. I feel very safe in this Jeep...much safer than in the standard wheel base model. The longer wheelbase "feels" safer on the highway and provides a better ride.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the convertible top. Nothing beats riding with the soft top down. The whole atmosphere of fun associated with this Rubicon makes it a great vehicle. It is also very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage! The "06" manual 6-speed does not match the other 6 cylinder automatic transmission models for fuel economy. I expected the 20+ mpg that I got in my other 6 cylinder Wranglers but I haven't got close to this yet.

Good Plain Fun
By chunter

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's just fun to have. My midlife crisis toy.

Favorite Features

The 4wd of course, but also the classic Jeep styling.

Suggested Improvements

Split folding rear seat.

Rubicon for the family
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Jeep, 3rd Wrangler, and 2nd Rubicon. The Rubicon is such a great off-road and fun vacation vehicle that my family selected to upgrade for the space in this Unlimited model. The decrease in MPG in this model was disappointing (23mpg down to 18) however, the extra space has paid off for the 2 kids and dog. My wife loves it so much she took the Jeep 101 course through the dealer and local Jeep Club and now she loves it even more. She became familiar with "lockers". My 8 year old daughter plans to own this Jeep when she reaches 16. I can't blame her. Great Jeep. Great off road. Great for PA winters and traveling the mountains during hunting season. This Jeep is a keeper.

Favorite Features

The styling is exceptional. We purchased the '06 since we didn't want the '07 body style. Off-roading is a MUST for this vehicle to truly appreciate this Jeep. Favorite feature = it's a convertible. Add the great stereo and your family is set for fun in the sun. Safety in bad weather is a given.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. I understand it is an off-road vehicle but the technology is out there...use it. Seats are low and "blocks" make a huge difference and are highly recommended. Too late to keep the styling original but this can only make these Rubicon Unlimited models more desired by off-roaders.

why does it continually leak water
By steve

2006 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the vehicle in August of '06 and now, in December, it has already been in the shop 4 times for a total of 32 days. Before I had purchased this vehicle I had wanted to own one for years. Now all I want to do is get rid of the headache. It's still not fixed and it does not seem that it ever will be. The dealership wants to keep trying to "fix" the issue, but it's never going to be done properly.

Favorite Features

I have my own swimming pool on wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better seals and weatherproofing to ensure that you have to exit the vehicle before you need an umbrella.

First time Jeep owner
By R. Tilghman

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in a 1992 Mercedes 300SL for a 2006 Rubicon. I've driven SL class MB for 20 years. My friends were shocked. The bottom line is I love the Rubicon and have no regrets on the trade. The simplicity of the design and excellent build quality are great. Mileage is only about 16.5 mpg. The highway ride is surprising compliant considering the offroad capabilities. Maneuverability in tight areas is outstanding. The fun factor is +10. The Rubicon has already proved to be a versatile work horse at our farm. Aftermarket parts support is amazing and one of the reason I selected a Jeep. "It's a Jeep thing" has real meaning to me now.

Favorite Features

Simplicity of design is my favorite feature. The Rubicon's beefy drivetrain is so robust it makes keeping the vehicle +20 years a legitimate option. I wanted the last year of the TJ because it's destined to be an instant collector's classic.

Suggested Improvements

It's tough to find fault. My only improvement suggestion is the stereo speakers are a little weak on sound quality.