Used 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

tough and fun yet affordable
By mighty mud box

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

ive had my jeep a while and i love it its tough and rugged but i wish it got a lil better gas mileage and a better soft top and maybe factory 33 inch tires and a winch lol all in all its a real deal go get you some jeep

06 Unlimited Rubi
By Jeep4fun

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Incredibly capable; has never failed. Has allowed me to see lots of scenery unavailable to most people. Even on a long road trip it was more bearable than expected. The combination of reasonable road manners with unparalleled off-road ability works perfectly for me. Fuel economy is worse than imaginable.

Favorite Features

Dual-top Removable doors 4-lo; Roc-Trac Overall fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Skid-plate for oil pan fuel economy

Off-road king
By jeeper

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Unlimited Rubicon for almost a year and love it! I am a hard-core off-roader and I find the Unlimited the perfect compromise for someone with a child and a need to drive to work 5 days a week. The lockers in the Rubi take me everywhere, and the extra cargo space hold all my gear. I'm a Jeeper and added a small lift and bigger tires after a few months. Getting stuck is a thing of the past. I've put this thing up the side of mountains in the National Forest in 1.5 feet of snow and over rocks the size of cars. It isn't the most refined, quite, or comfortable, it's a Jeep

Favorite Features

Long wheelbase. Extra cargo space. Extra 2" rear legroom fits a carseat fine with a front passenger. Lockers. Solid Dana44 axles front and rear. Reliable, and torque ample 4.0L

Suggested Improvements

Mileage - It's a hog. I get 12-15 city and 14-16 highway. Low hanging center skidplate

Winter Driving Must Have a Jeep
By DAC

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We are just finishing clean up after the storm that closed I-78 and schools for days. This Rubicon Unlimited just paid for itself. It drove us safely through and over the ice covered snow on roads that were a nightmare. The 4 wheel high was enough...no need for low gear or the lockers. We were able to go to work, help neighbors, and keep going when the rest of the area was shut down. This jeep just proved why we need one. It provided safety and security in bad weather to equal the fun and enjoyment in good weather. Now when people ask why we need an SUV, we simply refer to the storm of 2007...enough said.

Favorite Features

GREAT in the snow and winter weather. Unbeatable with the top down. So much fun.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is still bad but who cares when you are getting 13+ mpg in 4 wheel drive while others can't get out of their driveways. Still, better gas mileage wouldn't hurt say, 20 town, 25 highway would be great rather than the 15-16 local and 18-19 highway that we get. Keep the Jeep a Jeep!

Fun, Fun, Fun
By YellowRubi

2006 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This Unlimited Rubicon is so much fun to drive. It looks very sharp and it looks much better than the new '07' design. The best thing about this Jeep is it is a convertible. The soft top is super for the beach and summer driving. The hard top is best for winter. I took the Jeep 101 course offered through the dealership and it really showed me what my Jeep was capable of doing off-road. I feel very safe in this Jeep...much safer than in the standard wheel base model. The longer wheelbase "feels" safer on the highway and provides a better ride.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the convertible top. Nothing beats riding with the soft top down. The whole atmosphere of fun associated with this Rubicon makes it a great vehicle. It is also very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage! The "06" manual 6-speed does not match the other 6 cylinder automatic transmission models for fuel economy. I expected the 20+ mpg that I got in my other 6 cylinder Wranglers but I haven't got close to this yet.