Wrangler # 3, I won't buy another new one
By Clarkbar on
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)
I have owned a 97' SE 4 cyl 5 sp, '01 sport 6cyl 5sp and now I have an 05' rubicon 6 cyl 6sp. I have had nothing but problems with the front end. 4 sets of sway arm links, 4 steering stabilizers and 3 axle seal sets and it currently needs to go back in to the shop for more of the same I am sure. Other than that I love the Rubicon. It will go anywhere you want to go. Yes, it's noisy, with the soft top. Hardtop helps a lot. mpg should not be a consideration. It's bad. I will own another Wrangler but it will be an old one. I absolutely loved the 97 (car accident took it from me), 2001 caught fire in the garage from a wiring short, 2005 my lawyer is negotiating with Chrysler. Buy an old one!
Favorite Features
air lockers, 6 speed, Hardtop, off-road prowess. I have only got it stuck once and it took a 454 dually 4x4 to get it out. You can't beat it in the snow. I can get to work when most others can't get out of their driveway during the bad Cleveland winter storms coming off of the lake.
Suggested Improvements
They seriously need to improve the durability of the front end components. They need to be cheaper so more people could own one. Lastly, they need a quieter POWER retractable soft-top like a car.