Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

GREAT RIDE
By JASON

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Jeep for just over a week now and love it. The ride is nice and the interstate road noise isn't that bad. I have added an alarm and keyless entry that makes it really nice. I have the Ecco tire group that makes it a little higher, when its time to get tires again I will go larger.

Favorite Features

I can't wait to put the top down this Spring.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to improve on this vehicle, I can't think of anything that I would change.

Three words ... FUN, FUN, FUN!
By DougC

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a CJ5 back in the 80's and have always missed that Jeep. Fast forward to 2005 and I have a new Rubicon, 6 months now. The Rubicon is light years ahead of my '76 CJ but still has the same level of fun. I have a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. This baby can climb! I live in the desert in Southern California and we are always taking this Rubi on the mountain and desert trails. Trails I wouldn't hike up on foot, no problem for the Rubicon. The top is off 90% of the time here in the desert, it's great! Around town we have a blast as the Rubi always gets the looks. I love the rough ride and feeling the road. Cushy cars you drive with one finger are not for me.

Favorite Features

The Rubicons heavy duty upgrades, the A/C works great when the temps hit 110+, sound system, all of it!

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of except for the gas mileage but it is what it is, a Jeep.

There's no better vehicle!
By JeepChic

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Jeep and I love it as much if not more than the first one. Every time I get in it to go somewhere, I think wow ... I have a new Jeep. It doesn't get any better. For all the people who want power locks, windows, etc. It's a Wrangler ... it's not supposed to have all of that. This is the ultimate on/off road vehicle not a luxury car. Please buy a Liberty if you want all the "extra features."

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING ... especially the way people look at you in traffic with the top down ... you can see the jealousy radiating from them!

Suggested Improvements

Even being the Jeep lover I am, I do agree that the gas mileage is terrible. Try the CRD in the Wrangler.

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Jim

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Wrangler Unlimited has brought my love of driving back. What other vehicle excites you enough to make you think about it all day at work? What other vehicle makes you feel like a kid again ... you know right after getting your first new bike when all you do is daydream about being on it? Here's my stress relief even with today's higher gas prices; hey, we all need a vice, right? Mine is spending money on gas but the fun it returns is well worth it! After work, top down, drive home with cool breeze and tunes flowing, dinner, get the kids and wife loaded in, drive the country back roads flying over bumps and raising dust to a small town ice cream shop. Drive home with stars above; kids asleep.

Favorite Features

Open air riding brings smiles and giggles from my 7 and 4 year olds. Wife relaxed looking skyward. Riding high and big. Smooth turning, braking, and so solid over bumps. Extra length makes for confident highway driving and extra space makes it usable with family. Love Jeep Waves and strong engine!

Suggested Improvements

Headrests for the rear bench seat passengers. Whip-lash would be bad for kids whose heads stick above the rear seat back. Parents, be sure to use booster seats with back that extends above your little one's heads for added protection just in case of a rear-ender. MPG & range is low but expected.

I can Tow I can Tow
By TOWBOAT

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great capability, took it up South Mountain my first weekend, absolutely awesome, drove a 1950 lumber road that was over grown and washed out. Second weekend towed my 17 foot Bowrider up into the mountain roads of Western MD; no problem, 65+ on most hills except the gap. Very steep; engine definitely was working and I heard it. Top down effect excellent with Bikini top; can get blown around a bit at 65, of course I am 6'3 and I sit higher than most. With bikini top not a problem. Got pulled over for having the doors off in West Virginia. You need mirrors in WV. I got a warning. Down hill with boat trailer wasn't as bad as I thought but it could be better.

Favorite Features

Easy top removal if you drive around for a few weeks before attempting to remove. Comfortable seats. I'm not a big radio user but it does pump out the volume. I'm a news radio person and I can't really appreciate all the features. Best of all a real cooler and gear bags fit in the back.

Suggested Improvements

For what I purchased this vehicle for I am happy; if it where a daily driver I'd have to say get a hard top. I bought both and hard top is the way to go if this is to be a daily driver. It's not that hard to remove and the bikini top is easy to put on for the days you want the top off.