Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Rocky Mountain Edition Wrangler
By PKey

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 Wranglers and will own nothing else. Love 'em!

Favorite Features

Sound bar, soft top.

Suggested Improvements

Sunrider top should be standard equipment.

I've had older Jeep's
By Marcus

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had older Jeep's but this one is the best I've had. Although it doesn't have the V-8 that I'm used to, the 4 liter has more than enough power to run down the highway @ 80 mph, and of course off-road on any trail that is suitable for vehicles. Haven't done a lot of off-roading in this one, but the 4WD is torqued enough to handle anything, providing you have the right additions (lift, tires, rocker guards, etc.) I would recommend if you want something that is fun to drive and can take you wherever you want to go, this is what you need.

Favorite Features

Six speed transmission, tumble rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger posts that hold the soft windows in the doors (top corner of windows pull away from body a little at higher speeds).

My 2nd Wrangler
By molly

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been a Jeep fan since my first Cherokee in high school. This is my second Wrangler and it is definitely fun. I would however consider another vehicle if it is your main source of transportation! Convenience is not a word to describe these cars. You should also consider safety. Both of mine were broken into and you should never leave the doors locked because that will get your windows slashed! Other than convenience. you should also consider the effort to take the top off when you first buy one. Practice, Practice, Practice. Most of all have fun and remember its the only suv of its kind!

Favorite Features

Easy to drive and fun with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Easier top removal and stronger, larger zippers.

Wouldn't Trade It For the World!
By Alisha

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've wanted a Jeep for a VERY long time and finally got it! Regardless of what the overview on this site says, the soft top is not that hard to work with once you get used to it. (I'm 5'7 with very little arm muscle and can do it!). Now we have 2 Jeeps in the family and can count on mine to do everything the other one does (and it's more reliable than our '91 Wrangler too). A little noisy at 75mph, but it was never meant to be an interstate vehicle really, and the noise of the soft top is a good sacrifice to make with the unpredictable weather of New Mexico. I wouldn't trade my Jeep for the world!

Favorite Features

I love the half-doors on mine. It's great to have the "windows" down/off for the summer and with the top down, and still be able to throw em in back and put 'em on if it rains or snows.

Suggested Improvements

I would love for it to come with better off-road "stock" tires. The stock ones I bought it with could use some improvement in traction on the soft desert sand and sometimes steep inclines. Other than that, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Dual purpose
By Kevin

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've wanted a Jeep as long as I can remember and the Unlimited finally made it practicable. The ride is good for an SUV - the longer wheelbase helps a bunch, the extra storage room in back is reasonable. It's my all-weather convertible with removable hardtop. It's been trouble free so far. Love it.

Favorite Features

Two things - being able to drop the soft top in the summer & pop it into 4 wheel drive in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage isn't great, but you're driving a box. Wife complains about having to climb over the side and into the seat. Back window rattles a bit and if the tailgate & window aren't shut right the wiper sticks on the spare tire.