Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

as expected
By rayeldon

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I feel that it has been exactly what was expected. Fun to bop around in. I do not drive it much. Prob. 300 miles per mo. The last two mileage checks showed 12, and 13 mpg. I knew it would be horrible. Did not think it would be quite this poor. My neighbor has a newer V6, and gets much better mileage. Family raised, did not like the looks of the 4 door unlimited. Oh well.

It is a fun toy to drive. Other than this thought, it really does not have a lot to offer. Easy to find in parking lot.

The same thoughts as many, mileage improvement. They must have worked really hard to cause it to get such dismal mileage. AT appx. 4,000 mi. per yr, is the only reason I felt I could justify buying it.

wicked awesome!
By deliveryboy1

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 3rd Jeep. I've owned 2 Cherokee's and I'm loving my wrangler. Nothing stops it, snow, rain, mud. I live in nh and we get a bunch of snow and I go out to drive in it for fun! Ain't great when it comes to fuel economy, but what do you expect from a 4k Pound square going down the road. Mine is stock and still keeps up with friends who have lift kits when off road.

The whole package! Comfortable for me. I'm 6,1'' I just wish the seat went back one more click. Not a big deal.

(J)ust (E)mpty (E)very (P)ocket
By RandomGuy32

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got my 3rd Jeep (1st brand new one) when I was 25 and still single. Outfitted with lift, tires, all kinds of hitches and attachments for kayaks, mountain bikes, and surfboards. Never had any problems of any kind. Fun to drive and easy to park anywhere. Awesome in both snow and the desert. Now I'm almost 30 with a pregnant wife and twins on the way and its time to move on. Just not practical to keep for 'family' adventures anymore. Not enough room for wife, kids, dog, stuff, and my toys even with all the expensive accessories. Time for a truck. Would still recommend this to anyone who's not worried about $5 gas in the near future. Lotta fun for young single guys or cool old retired dudes.

4x4, convertible, park it anywhere, ice cold a/c, the heater is toasty warm even with top down and the upgraded sound system is loud enough top down on the freeway. You can find accessories for EVERYTHING: Just Empty Every Pocket

Gas mileage & quieter with the soft top. Please build the Gladiator!!!

The Beast
By eknotot

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I been all over the world (literally) through all different types of weather in my Jeep. Hawaii -> California -> Germany -> France -> and now back in Cali. From the humidity in Hawaii to the freezing temperatures and snow in Germany, it always runs like a Beast. The extra cargo room in the back is a big plus. You can easily throw in 2 12s if you want. It always runs solid no matter what kind of terrain you are in. As long as you take care of your Jeep, your Jeep will take care of you. IT'S A JEEP THANG! Mods: Rubicon Express Super Flex 2 1/2" lift ProComp wheels Nitto Terra Grappler A/T tires K&N CAI Spintech exhaust Die Hard Gold battery (highly recommended)

The 4WH is a beast! Taking this thing off-road is a lot of fun. Jeeps don't weigh a whole lot so that's why they will almost always out preform the next. At freezing temperatures, it's never problem to start. Runs great in the snow. Hard top makes a big difference with the outside noise. Trunk space.

Transmission could be better. Gear shifting can be rough. Over time for some reason the shift knob turns counter-clockwise little by little and you can't just force it back. It burns gas like crazy obviously. CAI helps a little bit though. There is no ABS so you will have to take it easy in the rain

Wrangler # 3, I won't buy another new one
By Clarkbar

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a 97' SE 4 cyl 5 sp, '01 sport 6cyl 5sp and now I have an 05' rubicon 6 cyl 6sp. I have had nothing but problems with the front end. 4 sets of sway arm links, 4 steering stabilizers and 3 axle seal sets and it currently needs to go back in to the shop for more of the same I am sure. Other than that I love the Rubicon. It will go anywhere you want to go. Yes, it's noisy, with the soft top. Hardtop helps a lot. mpg should not be a consideration. It's bad. I will own another Wrangler but it will be an old one. I absolutely loved the 97 (car accident took it from me), 2001 caught fire in the garage from a wiring short, 2005 my lawyer is negotiating with Chrysler. Buy an old one!

air lockers, 6 speed, Hardtop, off-road prowess. I have only got it stuck once and it took a 454 dually 4x4 to get it out. You can't beat it in the snow. I can get to work when most others can't get out of their driveway during the bad Cleveland winter storms coming off of the lake.

They seriously need to improve the durability of the front end components. They need to be cheaper so more people could own one. Lastly, they need a quieter POWER retractable soft-top like a car.