Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Unlimited Rubicon
By unlim rubicon w/6 sp

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've only owned this vehicle for a couple of weeks but it is more than what I anticipated. Given the expected ride and noise levels of prior models the unlimited version is much quieter and rides much more smoothly. If you are in the market for a Jeep I would encourage you to go for the Unlimited Rubicon vs ANY of the others. The price differential is minimal given whta you get.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the smooth ride and off-roading capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle should come standard with a side bar/step to allow for ease of entry for kids.

Garbage
By Steve

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle is for the off road consumer. It rides poorly on the road and feels like it jumps around when you take a turn and hit a bump. I purchased it brand new and the dash squeaks (dealership said that is how they are from the factory). You can see the spot welds on the rear quarter panels. (again ok to Jeep's standards). Weld marks on the doors not ground down, just painted over. (again ok with Jeep).

Favorite Features

For off road use.

Suggested Improvements

Poor craftsmanship and they don't care, Next year, no more 7 year warranty -- I wonder why?

fun ride
By doug

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Fun to drive and very capable off road. I like the ease of folding the top down and the availability of aftermarket accessories.

Favorite Features

I like the locking differentials and the power jack that lets me charge my cell phone when the key is removed.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic bumper caps.

It's a Jeep thing, and now I understand
By JeepRubi101

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I never really "got" the Jeep until I bought one. The gear ratio is low and very easy to shift. You can literally crawl without doing ANYTHING just by having the axle locks on. It's a thing of beauty. If you're just considering a Jeep, I suggest test driving it. I'm willing to bet that you too will understand the saying "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"

Favorite Features

Axle locks, fat tires, full size 5th wheel.

Suggested Improvements

If you want more room, get the Unlimited.

My Rubi Is Bad
By Sixgun

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I an older dude (51) who has always had Jeeps. I recently gave my old '89 YJ a break and bought a new '05 Rubicon. This Jeep take the name "Jeep" to new horizons. Smooth riding, responsive, tough and very ergonomic. The Dana 44's, 411 gearing along with the new tough transfer case give me piece of mind when tooling around in the boonies. I figure I have a good 20 years left on God's green Earth and I plan on spending all of those years with my "Impact Orange" Rubicon. The only problem I will have is deciding which products to buy when "accessorizing" my Rubi,

Favorite Features

No doubt, the Dana 44's, heavy duty transfer case, slip yoke eliminator and the 411 gearing. The 6 speed transmission is very cool indeed. I'm a "mechanical" kind of dude and creature comforts (which are not bad on my Rubi) are not important.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? yea, more crazy colors, maybe an eye blinding purple. Nothin' else -- keep it simple.