Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Wrangler # 3, I won't buy another new one
By Clarkbar

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a 97' SE 4 cyl 5 sp, '01 sport 6cyl 5sp and now I have an 05' rubicon 6 cyl 6sp. I have had nothing but problems with the front end. 4 sets of sway arm links, 4 steering stabilizers and 3 axle seal sets and it currently needs to go back in to the shop for more of the same I am sure. Other than that I love the Rubicon. It will go anywhere you want to go. Yes, it's noisy, with the soft top. Hardtop helps a lot. mpg should not be a consideration. It's bad. I will own another Wrangler but it will be an old one. I absolutely loved the 97 (car accident took it from me), 2001 caught fire in the garage from a wiring short, 2005 my lawyer is negotiating with Chrysler. Buy an old one!

Favorite Features

air lockers, 6 speed, Hardtop, off-road prowess. I have only got it stuck once and it took a 454 dually 4x4 to get it out. You can't beat it in the snow. I can get to work when most others can't get out of their driveway during the bad Cleveland winter storms coming off of the lake.

Suggested Improvements

They seriously need to improve the durability of the front end components. They need to be cheaper so more people could own one. Lastly, they need a quieter POWER retractable soft-top like a car.

It's a Jeep Thing
By Totenkopf3

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The absolute, bar none best factory 4 wheeler ever produced. If that doesn't excite you don't buy a Rubicon because you won't appreciate it for what it is. If you're an on-road warrior you will likely be unhappy with the very characteristics that make it such a supreme off roader. Purpose built for the boondocks, she isn't built for comfort or speed. Know and appreciate what you're buying and you'll love the Rubi.

Favorite Features

Factory lockers front and rear!

Suggested Improvements

Lose the goofy boxing glove end caps for the bumpers and it immediately looks like a more proper Jeep.

Keeper
By Bumski

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third Jeep, first Rubicon. If you are looking for a child hauling, store stopping SUV look somewhere else. This is the ultimate factory Jeep. Designed to go anywhere and return. So if your looking for an SUV for adventure, look no further! This is the perfect vehicle. It has taken me rock climbing, mud bogging, trail riding, and some fun in the snow. Never stuck, nothing broke. I'll pass this vehicle on to my kid one day.

Favorite Features

The drivetrain is unbeatable. Strong engine, tranny, transfer case, and Dana 44s front and rear with LOCKING differentials!

Suggested Improvements

The interior could use some updating.

Three words ... FUN, FUN, FUN!
By DougC

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a CJ5 back in the 80's and have always missed that Jeep. Fast forward to 2005 and I have a new Rubicon, 6 months now. The Rubicon is light years ahead of my '76 CJ but still has the same level of fun. I have a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. This baby can climb! I live in the desert in Southern California and we are always taking this Rubi on the mountain and desert trails. Trails I wouldn't hike up on foot, no problem for the Rubicon. The top is off 90% of the time here in the desert, it's great! Around town we have a blast as the Rubi always gets the looks. I love the rough ride and feeling the road. Cushy cars you drive with one finger are not for me.

Favorite Features

The Rubicons heavy duty upgrades, the A/C works great when the temps hit 110+, sound system, all of it!

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of except for the gas mileage but it is what it is, a Jeep.

I can Tow I can Tow
By TOWBOAT

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great capability, took it up South Mountain my first weekend, absolutely awesome, drove a 1950 lumber road that was over grown and washed out. Second weekend towed my 17 foot Bowrider up into the mountain roads of Western MD; no problem, 65+ on most hills except the gap. Very steep; engine definitely was working and I heard it. Top down effect excellent with Bikini top; can get blown around a bit at 65, of course I am 6'3 and I sit higher than most. With bikini top not a problem. Got pulled over for having the doors off in West Virginia. You need mirrors in WV. I got a warning. Down hill with boat trailer wasn't as bad as I thought but it could be better.

Favorite Features

Easy top removal if you drive around for a few weeks before attempting to remove. Comfortable seats. I'm not a big radio user but it does pump out the volume. I'm a news radio person and I can't really appreciate all the features. Best of all a real cooler and gear bags fit in the back.

Suggested Improvements

For what I purchased this vehicle for I am happy; if it where a daily driver I'd have to say get a hard top. I bought both and hard top is the way to go if this is to be a daily driver. It's not that hard to remove and the bikini top is easy to put on for the days you want the top off.