Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Faults IGNORED by company
By docjaime

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall I love driving my Jeep. The idea of it is exactly what I want, the execution is lacking.

Favorite Features

Ability to open. Don't feel the need to bother locking it. Turning radius. Can drive anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Known manufacturer defects are being ignored and they are safety features. The clutch safety switch and the fuel roll over valve are known to fail quickly and are super costly to replace as you must replace the whole clutch or fuel tank. These are safety features Jeep should fix for free!

The Mud
By ArmyDoc115

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely LOVE my Jeep! This is the 4th I've owned. The 1st was an 85 CJ. There is nothing like a Jeep. Period. They're absolutely a BLAST to drive, they look amazing, get attention everywhere, and the 4.0 6 cyl is unstoppable. If you're concerned about gas mileage, a Wrangler isn't for you. The fun factor and satisfaction of the Jeep is a worthwhile payoff in my book. I average 13 mpg, but I don't care because I LOVE my Jeep. I can haul my Harley in the trailer on the highway. Not fast, but I can do it! Road noise, loud top, stiff ride. So what! It's a Jeep, what do you expect? It's all part of the experience. Unlimited possibilities to customize it and make it YOUR Jeep.

Favorite Features

Everything. Removable doors, removeable top, 4wd is incredible in these, inline 6 cyl is a beast. It's not fast but damn is it strong! Everything about a Jeep is fun. Except the price at the fuel pump, but oh well! Totally worth it. If you think you'd like one, GET one! You won't be disappointed!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, more horsepower. Other than that I've got no complaints about my Jeep (or any of the 3 I've owned previously).

Was a nice car
By Melissa

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new at the end of 05, and drove it till my teen wrecked it 2010. They really are prone to flipping over belly up. Had it when it first had 200 miles on it till 49k miles. Only troubles we had was with the rotors. Had them replaced,or resurfaced every 6 months or so. It would shimmy as slowing down from high speed. Never had any other mechanical trouble with it stalling, not starting, it was very dependable. Was a gas guzzler, and for me the the windows and top were a pain to take off and remove. Id still be driving it now, and I miss it.

Favorite Features

the rugged appearance, and it was dependable.

Suggested Improvements

The new models have more room, and 4 door option, which I would have liked. Should be improved so they won't flip over.

Happy Jeep Owner
By ColJessepUSMC

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this Jeep Wrangler X with special Rocky Mountain package right out of showroom. Never been sorry. This is a head turner,all silver w/black accents. Matted to 6speed Mercedes trany,can't beat tourque. Soft top still in great shape after 4 1/2 years.Take the doors off and you never want to get out of it. Took it to Camp Jeep 2006 in stock mode. Over 3000 jeep owners and there families. What a great experience. Drove thru mud,creeks,and trails. I drive this as a daily driver,average 18mpg(mostly hwy). Don't like it??Buy a hybrid! This is for people like me who on a snowy NYC day,don't want to shovel. Engage 4wd and blast out of the parking space! Bury me in this when i die.

Favorite Features

In Summer,fold top down and take doors off. Amazing 4wd system. Fit and finish excellent from factory. Straight 6cyl engine.(New wranglers have fake V-6,too bad!!) Whats not to love about this vehicle?

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Camp Jeep. Chrysler,Are you listening??

Its a Jeep
By Jeepster0202

2005 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 3 other jeeps, my fourth will be my last of the newer jeeps, I traded up from a 98 to this 05, and cant get over how bad the gas mileage is, i have had all 4 cylinder jeeps and only regretted not having power, now i wish i had the mileage! Alot of Rattles in these, to many plastic pieces and clips,water leaks at body seams, and way to small. Basically if you want something fun, with for wheel drive and endless supply of aftermarket parts buy this! If you want comfort,and gas mileage this is not for you!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Good lucks,Rugged, sound bar a big plus, rear folding seat, easy to park in tight spots , and can go anywhere!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, ride quality, way to small interior, Bulky 6 speed! Better jeep dealers the three near to me are owned by the same place and are horrible to deal with! Seems like very poor build quality, i doubt it will last like my older jeeps have, hopefully they can solve that and the gas mileage.