Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Great Used Jeep
By Tinker

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought it used and I am loving everything about it. The only thing that I have had a problem with is the zipper with the back window coming off.

Favorite Features

Top off, size of the extend truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better zippers and gas.

05 jeep unlimited
By hankmiestro

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 05 unlimited (bought new). But it has very poor build quality. I have had to replace u-joints and sway-bars almost every oil change. Also the heater unit has broken twice and the cd player once. Another drag is the finish on the wheels has peeled off making them look terrible. All problems have happen literally 1 month after warranty was up, totaling some hefty bills. O yea and the starter motor had to be replaced (but that was covered by warranty). I consider these types of jeeps as toys or secondary vehicles. There just not practical enough for any serious amount of driving. If you're a young guy who doesn't drive a lot (like me) it an ok choice. Most people haven't had an many problems as me.

Favorite Features

Sound system,cargo room,good power,exhaust note,looks great, taking top and doors off is awesome,chicks LOVE it they literally beg for a ride (especially with the top off), almost impossible to get stuck, fun to drive (in town)

Suggested Improvements

make u-joints and sway bars MUCH STRONGER, gas mileage is horrible, soft top is completely useless,makes scary noises and has hard time starting during winter time,very prone to rusting,harsh ride,loud on highway,HORRIBLE headlights, lot of wind noises even with hardtop

as expected
By rayeldon

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I feel that it has been exactly what was expected. Fun to bop around in. I do not drive it much. Prob. 300 miles per mo. The last two mileage checks showed 12, and 13 mpg. I knew it would be horrible. Did not think it would be quite this poor. My neighbor has a newer V6, and gets much better mileage. Family raised, did not like the looks of the 4 door unlimited. Oh well.

Favorite Features

It is a fun toy to drive. Other than this thought, it really does not have a lot to offer. Easy to find in parking lot.

Suggested Improvements

The same thoughts as many, mileage improvement. They must have worked really hard to cause it to get such dismal mileage. AT appx. 4,000 mi. per yr, is the only reason I felt I could justify buying it.

The Beast
By eknotot

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I been all over the world (literally) through all different types of weather in my Jeep. Hawaii -> California -> Germany -> France -> and now back in Cali. From the humidity in Hawaii to the freezing temperatures and snow in Germany, it always runs like a Beast. The extra cargo room in the back is a big plus. You can easily throw in 2 12s if you want. It always runs solid no matter what kind of terrain you are in. As long as you take care of your Jeep, your Jeep will take care of you. IT'S A JEEP THANG! Mods: Rubicon Express Super Flex 2 1/2" lift ProComp wheels Nitto Terra Grappler A/T tires K&N CAI Spintech exhaust Die Hard Gold battery (highly recommended)

Favorite Features

The 4WH is a beast! Taking this thing off-road is a lot of fun. Jeeps don't weigh a whole lot so that's why they will almost always out preform the next. At freezing temperatures, it's never problem to start. Runs great in the snow. Hard top makes a big difference with the outside noise. Trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could be better. Gear shifting can be rough. Over time for some reason the shift knob turns counter-clockwise little by little and you can't just force it back. It burns gas like crazy obviously. CAI helps a little bit though. There is no ABS so you will have to take it easy in the rain

Can I get a woot woot?
By Eggs

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love this Jeep! Ok, so this is the coolest ride. It is, however, not that great on gas. However, I look forward to getting into it every day and driving to work or out to do errands. The extra cargo space in the back is great for groceries and such - bigger than one would think. Overall, really, really happy with this rig.

Favorite Features

Styling. Utilitarian, but cool.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy.