2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Wrangler # 3, I won't buy another new one
By Clarkbar on 09/03/08 15:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a 97' SE 4 cyl 5 sp, '01 sport 6cyl 5sp and now I have an 05' rubicon 6 cyl 6sp. I have had nothing but problems with the front end. 4 sets of sway arm links, 4 steering stabilizers and 3 axle seal sets and it currently needs to go back in to the shop for more of the same I am sure. Other than that I love the Rubicon. It will go anywhere you want to go. Yes, it's noisy, with the soft top. Hardtop helps a lot. mpg should not be a consideration. It's bad. I will own another Wrangler but it will be an old one. I absolutely loved the 97 (car accident took it from me), 2001 caught fire in the garage from a wiring short, 2005 my lawyer is negotiating with Chrysler. Buy an old one!

It's a Jeep Thing
By Totenkopf3 on 03/27/07 05:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The absolute, bar none best factory 4 wheeler ever produced. If that doesn't excite you don't buy a Rubicon because you won't appreciate it for what it is. If you're an on-road warrior you will likely be unhappy with the very characteristics that make it such a supreme off roader. Purpose built for the boondocks, she isn't built for comfort or speed. Know and appreciate what you're buying and you'll love the Rubi.

Keeper
By Bumski on 05/04/06 21:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third Jeep, first Rubicon. If you are looking for a child hauling, store stopping SUV look somewhere else. This is the ultimate factory Jeep. Designed to go anywhere and return. So if your looking for an SUV for adventure, look no further! This is the perfect vehicle. It has taken me rock climbing, mud bogging, trail riding, and some fun in the snow. Never stuck, nothing broke. I'll pass this vehicle on to my kid one day.

Three words ... FUN, FUN, FUN!
By DougC on 11/02/05 17:24 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a CJ5 back in the 80's and have always missed that Jeep. Fast forward to 2005 and I have a new Rubicon, 6 months now. The Rubicon is light years ahead of my '76 CJ but still has the same level of fun. I have a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. This baby can climb! I live in the desert in Southern California and we are always taking this Rubi on the mountain and desert trails. Trails I wouldn't hike up on foot, no problem for the Rubicon. The top is off 90% of the time here in the desert, it's great! Around town we have a blast as the Rubi always gets the looks. I love the rough ride and feeling the road. Cushy cars you drive with one finger are not for me.

I can Tow I can Tow
By TOWBOAT on 09/15/05 08:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great capability, took it up South Mountain my first weekend, absolutely awesome, drove a 1950 lumber road that was over grown and washed out. Second weekend towed my 17 foot Bowrider up into the mountain roads of Western MD; no problem, 65+ on most hills except the gap. Very steep; engine definitely was working and I heard it. Top down effect excellent with Bikini top; can get blown around a bit at 65, of course I am 6'3 and I sit higher than most. With bikini top not a problem. Got pulled over for having the doors off in West Virginia. You need mirrors in WV. I got a warning. Down hill with boat trailer wasn't as bad as I thought but it could be better.

What a life ... a Jeep life!
By Justin LeVrier on 08/30/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Jeep. I've always wanted one and finally got one! Two weeks ago I purchased the Rubicon and have already logged close to 750 miles (75 off-road). I keep finding myself looking at a mountain thinking ... "I can get to the top of that" and so far I have. While 4 wheeling this past weekend I was with a friend who said "well, looks like we can't go any further, better turn around." She must have said that 5 or more times, and each time she did we climbed higher on more ridiculous terrain and the Rubicon never even hesitated. I LOVE THIS BEAST! Fun, Fun, Fun and it's great how all the other Jeep owners smile and wave whenever you pass. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

freaking love it
By Corey on 08/24/05 14:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a Rubi ever since they came out of the factory. I owned an '88 Wrangler that I rebuilt from the frame up. Sad thing is that I built it almost exactly like what the Rubi has in it already. I've taken it on quite a few road trips so far and I must say, it is one cool ride. Top down with the air flying through your hair or top on with the A/C; either way, provides plenty of power and head turning ability that make it a Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler Review
By Eric on 08/02/05 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for a year, so far it has worked without a problem (knock on wood). Consumer Reports was disappointed with it. They were expecting a Lexus Sports Activity Vehicle with every computer enhanced stability control system. This is a vehicle designed to take a beating in the harshest environments and bring you home. It's not designed to drive you to yoga class in total comfort and burled walnut trim. The Wrangler will get you through 2 feet of snow & 2 feet of water without advanced yuppie technology. It was designed to ford water, and have 8.6" of ground clearance for off-road adventures. You can't do that in a Lexus. If you want a tough vehicle, go for the Wrangler not a Lux SUV.

It's a Jeep thing, and now I understand
By JeepRubi101 on 07/25/05 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I never really "got" the Jeep until I bought one. The gear ratio is low and very easy to shift. You can literally crawl without doing ANYTHING just by having the axle locks on. It's a thing of beauty. If you're just considering a Jeep, I suggest test driving it. I'm willing to bet that you too will understand the saying "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"

My Rubi Is Bad
By Sixgun on 07/14/05 21:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I an older dude (51) who has always had Jeeps. I recently gave my old '89 YJ a break and bought a new '05 Rubicon. This Jeep take the name "Jeep" to new horizons. Smooth riding, responsive, tough and very ergonomic. The Dana 44's, 411 gearing along with the new tough transfer case give me piece of mind when tooling around in the boonies. I figure I have a good 20 years left on God's green Earth and I plan on spending all of those years with my "Impact Orange" Rubicon. The only problem I will have is deciding which products to buy when "accessorizing" my Rubi,