Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Fun to drive
By bill pierce

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first jeep, so I didn't know what to expect. Every chance I get the rag top and doors come off. The mileage is what was listed on the factory window sticker. I get 15 to 19 mpg with my jeep, and I do not baby it. With the 6 cyl engine it has all the power I need. I tow a small boat and also an 8 ft trailer on occasion. I tow it behind my motor home which is very convenient. I recently towed it to Big Bend where I spend 4 days of off roading. Performance was exactly what I expected. I would certainly buy another.

The cloth top and easily removable doors. It is to much fun to drive. Easy to rig up for towing.

Set the rear seat back a couple inches. I know that would place it very close to the rear door, but I never carry anything back there.

WOOHOO!!!
By Master Blaster

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Entered the military, in 1984, and got to drive the last of the iconic M151- A2's. Even with it's rollover issues, 25 years later, even after driving HMMWV (Hummers), Ford Broncos, and other 4x4 pickups, I returned to an '05 Wrangler Sport. I am NOT disappointed. I love driving it!!! Yes, the soft top is noisy, and no it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but if you've ever driven a vehicle of this sort, you know to turn the stereo up until you can't hear the road noise anymore! Plenty of pep, with the I6, sporty feel, go anywhere, I'm begging my wife, like a kid with a new driver's license, to go and get milk and bread! If you want quiet and style, buy a Honda. "It's a JEEP thing!"

Simplicity, power train, versatility.

Lower price.

(J)ust (E)mpty (E)very (P)ocket
By RandomGuy32

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got my 3rd Jeep (1st brand new one) when I was 25 and still single. Outfitted with lift, tires, all kinds of hitches and attachments for kayaks, mountain bikes, and surfboards. Never had any problems of any kind. Fun to drive and easy to park anywhere. Awesome in both snow and the desert. Now I'm almost 30 with a pregnant wife and twins on the way and its time to move on. Just not practical to keep for 'family' adventures anymore. Not enough room for wife, kids, dog, stuff, and my toys even with all the expensive accessories. Time for a truck. Would still recommend this to anyone who's not worried about $5 gas in the near future. Lotta fun for young single guys or cool old retired dudes.

4x4, convertible, park it anywhere, ice cold a/c, the heater is toasty warm even with top down and the upgraded sound system is loud enough top down on the freeway. You can find accessories for EVERYTHING: Just Empty Every Pocket

Gas mileage & quieter with the soft top. Please build the Gladiator!!!

Do NOT buy a JEEP
By herman

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 4wd and the inline straight six cylinder motor used with only 1400 miles on the odometer. It looked so great sitting at the dealership I had to have it.(Despite all the warnings about Chrysler products) This was the worst vehicle I ever bought. The fuel economy was terrible for such a small vehicle with hardly enough room for 4 people and no cargo space whatsoever. I suggest all families to stay far away from this vehicle because there is no room for anything. It was very loud to drive and the soft top was very noisy. Also if you plan to go over 60 mph be ready to hear the wind. I quickly traded it back in after 4 lousy months.

There weren't many. I can't think of any because of all of the stuff I didn'tlike. Maybe the off road 4wd system. Most of the time,even in the snow, I didn't need to engage in 4wd. I Couldn"t even get a freshwater fishing rod in this thing without a hassle

1. Fuel economy 2. Soft top was very noisy especially on the highway over at and over 60 mph. 3. There is a snug fit for 4 average size adults and thats it(no cargo room) 4. I know its not a sports car but it could not get out of its own way. Poor performance. I would never buy a Jeep again.

None better.
By tyrus

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Jeep TJ is possibly the finest American vehicle ever produced. I will be a Jeep owner for life. I live in the city and have absolutely no problem fitting my Jeep into any parking situation. I also spend a great deal of time in the North Georgia mountains, where I would not want to have any other vehicle.

Powerful engine. Great design... keeps its military roots (meaning, most everything is functional rather than aesthetic decoration). The most capable vehicle on the market... bar none. Amazingly adaptable vehicle.

There has to be a way to make the windows on the soft-top scratch resistant. Also, I would like to see sliding (side) windows for my hard-top. Some sort of "quick disconnect and relocation" for the mirrors when I want to cruise without the doors.