Used 2005 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Faults IGNORED by company
By docjaime

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall I love driving my Jeep. The idea of it is exactly what I want, the execution is lacking.

Favorite Features

Ability to open. Don't feel the need to bother locking it. Turning radius. Can drive anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Known manufacturer defects are being ignored and they are safety features. The clutch safety switch and the fuel roll over valve are known to fail quickly and are super costly to replace as you must replace the whole clutch or fuel tank. These are safety features Jeep should fix for free!

Great Used Jeep
By Tinker

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought it used and I am loving everything about it. The only thing that I have had a problem with is the zipper with the back window coming off.

Favorite Features

Top off, size of the extend truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better zippers and gas.

Fun to drive
By bill pierce

2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first jeep, so I didn't know what to expect. Every chance I get the rag top and doors come off. The mileage is what was listed on the factory window sticker. I get 15 to 19 mpg with my jeep, and I do not baby it. With the 6 cyl engine it has all the power I need. I tow a small boat and also an 8 ft trailer on occasion. I tow it behind my motor home which is very convenient. I recently towed it to Big Bend where I spend 4 days of off roading. Performance was exactly what I expected. I would certainly buy another.

Favorite Features

The cloth top and easily removable doors. It is to much fun to drive. Easy to rig up for towing.

Suggested Improvements

Set the rear seat back a couple inches. I know that would place it very close to the rear door, but I never carry anything back there.

The Mud
By ArmyDoc115

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely LOVE my Jeep! This is the 4th I've owned. The 1st was an 85 CJ. There is nothing like a Jeep. Period. They're absolutely a BLAST to drive, they look amazing, get attention everywhere, and the 4.0 6 cyl is unstoppable. If you're concerned about gas mileage, a Wrangler isn't for you. The fun factor and satisfaction of the Jeep is a worthwhile payoff in my book. I average 13 mpg, but I don't care because I LOVE my Jeep. I can haul my Harley in the trailer on the highway. Not fast, but I can do it! Road noise, loud top, stiff ride. So what! It's a Jeep, what do you expect? It's all part of the experience. Unlimited possibilities to customize it and make it YOUR Jeep.

Favorite Features

Everything. Removable doors, removeable top, 4wd is incredible in these, inline 6 cyl is a beast. It's not fast but damn is it strong! Everything about a Jeep is fun. Except the price at the fuel pump, but oh well! Totally worth it. If you think you'd like one, GET one! You won't be disappointed!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, more horsepower. Other than that I've got no complaints about my Jeep (or any of the 3 I've owned previously).

Was a nice car
By Melissa

2005 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new at the end of 05, and drove it till my teen wrecked it 2010. They really are prone to flipping over belly up. Had it when it first had 200 miles on it till 49k miles. Only troubles we had was with the rotors. Had them replaced,or resurfaced every 6 months or so. It would shimmy as slowing down from high speed. Never had any other mechanical trouble with it stalling, not starting, it was very dependable. Was a gas guzzler, and for me the the windows and top were a pain to take off and remove. Id still be driving it now, and I miss it.

Favorite Features

the rugged appearance, and it was dependable.

Suggested Improvements

The new models have more room, and 4 door option, which I would have liked. Should be improved so they won't flip over.