2004 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Wrangler Unlimited a Good Valu

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Unlimited Convertible SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Wrangler Unlimited a Good Value
By tjkirchman on

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am happy with the Wrangler. That being said, I knew what to expect from this vehicle and I live in an area where there are plenty of places to take it off-road and sometimes our weather here makes having a 4x4 a definite advantage as well. If you want a vehicle that can take you to and from work or to the store and you live in the city, then the Wrangler probably isn't for you. However, if you want a fun versatile vehicle that is reliable and can haul and tow and get you unstuck from places that other SUVs won't dare to venture, then you may want to consider it. For the small price difference, consider the Unlimited. It has more room and better towing capacity and road manners as well.

Favorite Features

The Wrangler is rugged, reliable, classically styled, has decent torque, and its off road capability instills confidence. It is easy and inexpensive to maintain. It has comforts not seen in past Wranglers: auto dimming mirror with compass and thermometer, a CD player, and a 7 speaker sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I average about 15.4mpg in the city and 18.5 on the highway. The cruise control wants to downshift from 4th to 2nd gear if it encounters a hill, which shoots the RPMs up to around 4,500 or so at 60mph. I have to manually disable overdrive if I want it to shift into 3rd instead of 2nd.