Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

It's a Jeep
By X-man

2004 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used in 2008 with 66000 miles. Had my X for over 2 years now and never a problem. My wife says it rides rough but it's a Jeep. Can't think of anything more fun to drive than a Jeep Wrangler X with the top down, except in a rain storm (had that happen) and here in Texas it's often too hot to keep the top down. This is my first Jeep and it's a great vehicle! I'd recommend a Wrangler X to anyone who wants to have fun while driving, you won't be disappointed!

Favorite Features

Soft top. Easy to put down and up, do it all alone in less than 10 minutes. Fun to drive! Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. Drivers seat should slide back further.

It's a Jeep
By Pratt

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this January 2010 as my first Jeep (SE trim, 5-speed manual). Overall I dig it, but I you gotta be sort of a Jeep fan to in my opinion. The ride is harsh (more bumpy than the average car, and the wind noise can be unbearable if you're just getting out of a Cobalt or anything other quiet car ride). On the other hand, from what I've seen, they're pretty reliable (I know mine is), and off roading is great alongside the many many accessories from tops to lift kits, you name it, there's probably an accessory for the jeep and that's always great!

Favorite Features

convertible top, loads of Jeep aftermarket accessories

Suggested Improvements

For 2004, the overall ride quality (including wind noise), longer-lasting material stock for the soft top.

jeep sport
By hummerh5

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best 4 wheel I ever had for off road. Great grocery getter. As lite as it is you would expect better highway mpg's

Favorite Features

Will climb anything. Short wheel base, no bottoming.

Suggested Improvements

I know it has a short wheel base, but they should try and get the driving on ice feel out of it.

Delayed Review
By vbprof

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had this Wrangler Sahara for over 5 years. A very FUN car to drive, although not the comfortable one. Had hardtop and added U-haul hitch. Very classic looking. Small, but very easy to park and making turns. Very noisy with high speed, but that is expected with a Jeep. Never had any engine or mechanical related problem. I also love the tires with "Wrangler" brand (from Goodyear), as well as the high ride with this Jeep. Sahara line is well equipped. I only wish the sound insulation is little better. My hardtop is great, but removing it is difficult. People either love this or hate this car. There is no middle ground. (just as you never go to South Pole to see winter, not summer

Favorite Features

"Wrangler" brand tire, reliable build, tinted glass, classic appearance, able to remove anything, hardtop, doors, even windshield, many after-market products, cheap but still a headtuner

Suggested Improvements

roof rack is almost impossible, better noise insulation, better fuel economy (although this car uses regular gas), make easy to remove hardtop, poor quality of windshield wiper (jumps and noisy)

Jeeper 4 Life
By Jeep Rowdy

2004 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had 4wd pick-ups and other vehicles, but this is my first Jeep and I absolutely love it. It's boxy, bouncy, and loud - but if I wanted a Cadillac I would have bought one! I've got a 2" lift, 33" MT mud tires (great for off-road, but I'll be switching to Silent Armors when these are worn out) and lots of chrome accessories. Did I mention I got the electric lime green color? I can always find her even in the most crowded parking lot.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive is #1, but I also love the utilitarian look and that if it rains while the top is off, it just needs a brief wipe-down and I'm good to go!

Suggested Improvements

I'm short and I'd really like more seat adjustment options so I'm not so close to the airbag. The console could be higher so I could actually rest my arm on it, with the cup holders moved somewhere other than where the shifter needs to be in 2nd gear.