2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
A Blast To Drive
By Richard on 02/10/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A rugged 4WD and almost a roadster in one! Handles great, and couldn't be more fun to drive. Other than some HVAC problems, it's been very reliable. My last Jeep was an 86 CJ-7 and this is like driving a Lexus compared to the CJ.

Wrangler Unlimited a Good Value
By tjkirchman on 12/31/08 14:31 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am happy with the Wrangler. That being said, I knew what to expect from this vehicle and I live in an area where there are plenty of places to take it off-road and sometimes our weather here makes having a 4x4 a definite advantage as well. If you want a vehicle that can take you to and from work or to the store and you live in the city, then the Wrangler probably isn't for you. However, if you want a fun versatile vehicle that is reliable and can haul and tow and get you unstuck from places that other SUVs won't dare to venture, then you may want to consider it. For the small price difference, consider the Unlimited. It has more room and better towing capacity and road manners as well.

great jeep
By jeepowner on 08/27/08 15:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this Jeep for 1 1/2 years. So far I love it. It is great in the mud or snow and I don't even have a lift on it. It is marginal at interstate speeds. Rough riding but that is expected. You learn to love it. The worst part is that the engine is underpowered. I added a Banks Cold Air Intake and that helped out a lot. I hope to put a cat-back exhaust system on soon. Great fun in the summer with the top and doors off.

Hey! It's a Jeep!
By jet on 05/20/08 19:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'll be honest. You gotta want a jeep to own a jeep. This is the funnest vehicle you'll ever own. It's at home off road or at the mall. The newer jeeps ride a lot better that the older ones due to coil-over shocks in the front. Accessories galore! This is the one vehicle that you can truly personalize. My advice for jeep buying: Buy the full doors, the 6- cyl., oversized tires, and both hard and soft tops. These are all the "should-a-gots" that plague jeep buyers remorse. Mine averages 13/16 mpg on pavement and about 20mpg off- road! Jeeps are fun! Oh yeah- and insurance is CHEAP!

i dont know about this...
By D on 05/09/08 12:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm going to be accosted for this but... I hate driving this thing, it is in perfect condition and all but it is HELL on the highway! You feel like the wind is going to take you and flip you over and It has almost happened a few times. It wont move in snow unless its in 4X4. Don't get caught in a snow storm on the highway because driving in 4wd on the highway is scary also. Overall its a very dangerous vehicle if you do a lot of highway driving. The newer ones address those problems and its not as bad but do be careful, and choose wisely if you are going to drive this on the highway. Also my local dealer is full of scammers and traveling salesman.

Jeep wrangler sport 04
By D.SORENSEN on 02/21/08 15:02 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car so much. It's so much fun. To sell this car will be a very sad day. With the amount of driving I do I need something a little more economical. It has been the best car I have ever owned.

Four years and counting
By Jeeper Jim on 02/03/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my TJ Rubi. She's a gas to drive and be seen driving. You can't just can't beat top-down-doors-off Jeep'n fun. Took her on the Rubicon Trail stock and she bottomed out a few times. A 4 inch lift kit and 33" MTRs and she'll go anywhere. Gas mileage stinks but so what. It's a Jeep!

Good to go!
By mecinoid on 01/04/08 04:04 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I only have bought this Jeep about a month ago but, I have owned a few Jeeps in my life. I love the improved ride, power, quietness and performance of this Wrangler Jeep. Quite an improvement over ones just a few years back imo. Parts are easy to get and the package works well for me as a towable vehicle behind my motorhome as well. If your going to buy this one at least get the limitted slip rear diff from the factory with the DANA 44 rear end. I plan on putting a cable locker up front and I'll be set for all but the worst stuff. I have already added $1500 in parts for off roading; bumpers, winch, and tow bar, and rock sliders were a must for my use. Loving it!

Best deal for your money Jeep
By Pete's Jeep on 10/01/07 00:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine for $13,688 base model with no radio, no rear seat, and no AC. Added radio & seat aftermarket for 1/7th what the dealer wanted. Not much power as the car is not geared right with a 2.4L 4cyl, but really fun to drive and own.

Unlimited is the One
By EddieGee on 09/18/07 07:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the Wrangler Unlimited. I believe that this is the first year they came out. The longer wheel base and extra cargo make this a more versatile Jeep than the standard Wrangler. The 15" wheels are substantial but could be bigger but the longer wheel base makes this a solid drive on or off-road. The straight six is more powerful than advertised or at least it feels that way. This is a fun drive with the Sunrider Top (front seat only pull back on top). I may get one of the newer Unlimiteds as well. Great ride with the only drawback for me being 16mpg city and 21mpg highway.