Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Wrangler Unlimited a Good Value
By tjkirchman

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am happy with the Wrangler. That being said, I knew what to expect from this vehicle and I live in an area where there are plenty of places to take it off-road and sometimes our weather here makes having a 4x4 a definite advantage as well. If you want a vehicle that can take you to and from work or to the store and you live in the city, then the Wrangler probably isn't for you. However, if you want a fun versatile vehicle that is reliable and can haul and tow and get you unstuck from places that other SUVs won't dare to venture, then you may want to consider it. For the small price difference, consider the Unlimited. It has more room and better towing capacity and road manners as well.

Favorite Features

The Wrangler is rugged, reliable, classically styled, has decent torque, and its off road capability instills confidence. It is easy and inexpensive to maintain. It has comforts not seen in past Wranglers: auto dimming mirror with compass and thermometer, a CD player, and a 7 speaker sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I average about 15.4mpg in the city and 18.5 on the highway. The cruise control wants to downshift from 4th to 2nd gear if it encounters a hill, which shoots the RPMs up to around 4,500 or so at 60mph. I have to manually disable overdrive if I want it to shift into 3rd instead of 2nd.

Unlimited is the One
By EddieGee

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the Wrangler Unlimited. I believe that this is the first year they came out. The longer wheel base and extra cargo make this a more versatile Jeep than the standard Wrangler. The 15" wheels are substantial but could be bigger but the longer wheel base makes this a solid drive on or off-road. The straight six is more powerful than advertised or at least it feels that way. This is a fun drive with the Sunrider Top (front seat only pull back on top). I may get one of the newer Unlimiteds as well. Great ride with the only drawback for me being 16mpg city and 21mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Love the versatility of the soft Sunrider top. On, off or pulled back to open the front seat.

Jeeps for Life
By Bob

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Jeep. Don't buy if you want luxury or maximum comfort. Buy it if you love the outdoors and want to enjoy live by your own terms. This vehicle is addaptable to nearly every need.

Favorite Features

Off road capability and removable top.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, lift kit and body armor.

First Wrangler, Unlimited is perfect!
By miahkettle

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I previously owned a KJ and put 266K miles on it. I purchased an LJ (Unlimited Wrangler) because I always wanted a Wrangler but it just wasn't practical until now. This Jeep is great off road and bearable on. I took this Jeep to Paragon off road park and could not believe what it could muster being stock with a longer wheelbase. This Jeep is perfect for business during the week and wheeling on the weekends!

Favorite Features

Sunrider top, more storage room, AT, cruise control, CD player with subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

Offset wheels for easy tire upgrade without purchasing new wheels.

Love my Jeep
By Jeep Wave

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is extremely fun to drive and the little extra cargo room the Unlimited offers goes a long way. I plan to get a 3" lift and put some 34" tires on...which the wife is against but what does she know. Mine came with a grille guard and fog lights which look very nice.

Favorite Features

It goes anywhere! This thing cuts through mud like its nothin...freakin awesome! The 7 speaker system is loud and sounds crisp. Extra cargo room is nice.

Suggested Improvements

The air box/intake is very restrictive which doesn't help its poor fuel economy. Why not make the engine preform better at the factory? i.e. a better stock air intake system. Other than that the Jeep Wrangler is perfect for me.