Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Jeeper 4 Life
By Jeep Rowdy

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had 4wd pick-ups and other vehicles, but this is my first Jeep and I absolutely love it. It's boxy, bouncy, and loud - but if I wanted a Cadillac I would have bought one! I've got a 2" lift, 33" MT mud tires (great for off-road, but I'll be switching to Silent Armors when these are worn out) and lots of chrome accessories. Did I mention I got the electric lime green color? I can always find her even in the most crowded parking lot.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive is #1, but I also love the utilitarian look and that if it rains while the top is off, it just needs a brief wipe-down and I'm good to go!

Suggested Improvements

I'm short and I'd really like more seat adjustment options so I'm not so close to the airbag. The console could be higher so I could actually rest my arm on it, with the cup holders moved somewhere other than where the shifter needs to be in 2nd gear.

great jeep
By jeepowner

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this Jeep for 1 1/2 years. So far I love it. It is great in the mud or snow and I don't even have a lift on it. It is marginal at interstate speeds. Rough riding but that is expected. You learn to love it. The worst part is that the engine is underpowered. I added a Banks Cold Air Intake and that helped out a lot. I hope to put a cat-back exhaust system on soon. Great fun in the summer with the top and doors off.

Favorite Features

Removable top and doors, 4WD, fun factor

Suggested Improvements

More power, please! Better fuel economy.

Jeep Fan
By unlimited

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Jeep, and I'm planning on trading in my current Jeep and buying the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited this Fall. A Jeep is not a metal box on wheels, its a reflection on life and its pleasures.

Favorite Features

The ability to 'feel' the road.

Suggested Improvements

Continued research in quieting the soft-top model.

Fun Weekends, horrible daily driver.
By Keith

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's nice to go off roading, but it gets old quick, and I bought a second vehicle because it is simply impossible to live with on a daily basis. The MANUAL tranny had a factory defect and needed replaced ... all while the dealer took 3 weeks and provided no rental car, so I spent my Christmas and New Years with a $426 payment and no car! The vehicle had a fender bender too, and never ran right since, despite being fixed 3 times more. My driveshaft parts are very rusty, even though I live in one of the driest deserts on earth! The constant vibration on the freeway is the true reason I am trading this vehicle in, despite the loss I'll take. If you really want one, save $$$, buy used!

Favorite Features

The dual axles come standard, no other vehicle can give you 4WD for so cheap. Going topless is a blast, but make sure you have leather, because I never have the extra set of hands to remove my hardtop! Parking and handling are great, even on the street ... it temps you to turn corner like a coupe!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, ride quality, vibration, rust, tires! My Jeep vibrates excessively and the steering wheel shakes even if it's aligned right. My stock tires hydroplane anywhere above 45mph, so tell your dealer you won't settle for anything less than the biggest, best tires! They'll give em to you!

One Bad Mud Machine
By Brandon

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great stock but better with 4 inch suspension lift, 6 KC lights, and 33X12.50 mud terrains. We bought it used with 2,000 miles on it. Use it everyday and even in mud holes on the weekends. Once we get a "family" SUV we're going to keep adding on. It's a Jeep thing, some people will never really understand.

Favorite Features

Convertible top and reliable 4X4, never been stuck.

Suggested Improvements

Have a V8 option and bigger axles.