2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
MY FIRST WRANGLER
By sgttony on 03/26/12 05:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a 2nd vehicle that could get me off road for fishing. Something dependable and good on gas. I have a luxury SUV (gas guzzler), and I really did not want to take that fishing! I chose my 2004 TJ with 28,000 miles with brand new 31" tires, chrome 15" wheels, Soft top manual 5 speed. I can get to 75 MPH on the highway, but past 76 it starts to get a little rough! I am in 80-90 degree weather with no AC, but I take off the upper soft top doors, the side windows, and role the back windw and I get a cool breeze! AC not needed! For more power and better fuel mileage I am adding a cold air intake and replacing the exhaust system! This has become my daily driver and I love this thing!

Lots of fun, surprisingly practical.
By helilog on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Downshift the 4 cylinder early for power, 3rd gear is good for 75 mph, don't be afraid to spin the engine up. It is a twin cam after all. Used thusly, the engine is plenty peppy. Expect 20 mpg town, 24 hwy. Five speed tranny is notchy and vague, a real antique. The later 6-speed is better. I've got aftermarket sliding glass side curtains on the stock low cut doors. Much quieter and more convenient than zipper plastic door windows. The low cut doors make for a good arm rest (since a Wrangler has none). Get a center console for the same reason. Seats could use more lumbar for 400 mile days.

It's a Jeep
By Pratt on 02/26/10 23:06 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this January 2010 as my first Jeep (SE trim, 5-speed manual). Overall I dig it, but I you gotta be sort of a Jeep fan to in my opinion. The ride is harsh (more bumpy than the average car, and the wind noise can be unbearable if you're just getting out of a Cobalt or anything other quiet car ride). On the other hand, from what I've seen, they're pretty reliable (I know mine is), and off roading is great alongside the many many accessories from tops to lift kits, you name it, there's probably an accessory for the jeep and that's always great!

A Blast To Drive
By Richard on 02/10/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A rugged 4WD and almost a roadster in one! Handles great, and couldn't be more fun to drive. Other than some HVAC problems, it's been very reliable. My last Jeep was an 86 CJ-7 and this is like driving a Lexus compared to the CJ.

i dont know about this...
By D on 05/09/08 12:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm going to be accosted for this but... I hate driving this thing, it is in perfect condition and all but it is HELL on the highway! You feel like the wind is going to take you and flip you over and It has almost happened a few times. It wont move in snow unless its in 4X4. Don't get caught in a snow storm on the highway because driving in 4wd on the highway is scary also. Overall its a very dangerous vehicle if you do a lot of highway driving. The newer ones address those problems and its not as bad but do be careful, and choose wisely if you are going to drive this on the highway. Also my local dealer is full of scammers and traveling salesman.

Best deal for your money Jeep
By Pete's Jeep on 10/01/07 00:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine for $13,688 base model with no radio, no rear seat, and no AC. Added radio & seat aftermarket for 1/7th what the dealer wanted. Not much power as the car is not geared right with a 2.4L 4cyl, but really fun to drive and own.

Better than my 2000 Grand Cherokee
By bahrain_jeepster on 06/13/07 22:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I know it's the baby Jeep (with the 2.4), but for the kind of wheeling I do, it's as good a compromise between getting there on the highway and then being in the mountains. My Jeep has helped to clean up from hurricanes while stationed in GTMO, to treking in the deserts of the middle east. Only got stuck once, in an orchard here in the states. I had the wrong tires to deal with the mud, heck the tractor almost got stuck as well! I traded my 2000 Grand Cherokee for this and I have never looked back! Will not trade it for love nor money! Not a speed demon on the road, but keeps up with traffic.

Great vehicle
By bob on 04/20/07 08:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used Jeep with only 13,000 miles. The ride is very soft and seems to sway from side to side more than other cars. Avg 21 mpg on and off road combo. AC works very well and the heater is unreal. In 20 degree weather, the heater was blowing hot air in less than half mile! Have not tested the Jeep's ability to get agressive offroad, but on moderate trails, it has no problems. On the fly to 4wd is a piece of cake, but you need to be stopped or at 2 mph for 4wdLow. The turning radius is really small. Combo CD and radio with rear speakers is quite nice, but the volumn must really be increased at highway speeds. Hardly use 5th gear unless on level road at 65+

It's the Genuine Article
By Jeff D. on 11/02/05 00:23 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My first GP, a 2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4 cylinder, 4WD, with soft top and hard doors, has been reliable, versatile, and just plain fun. It's a blast for all seasons ... goes anywhere in the snow (though ice is always tricky) ... doesn't leak in the heaviest of rain ... pulls my 16 ft. boat up a bumpy ramp with ease (especially using 1st gear in 4WD low )... and doesn't need air conditioning (just take the windows out on a hot day or lower the top). However, I do suggest that you keep both hands on the wheel in windy and rainy conditions because of the short wheelbase and wider tires. There's plenty of heat in winter and you can adjust the vents to cover your needs. It has comfortable seats too.

Great fun, 4cyl grossly underpowered
By Pete on 12/07/04 02:46 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Wrangler SE is loads of fun to own and drive. However, the 4cyl motor is grossly underpowered. Lags very badly on the steep California hills with an empty cargo. Fuel mileage should be much better for a 4cyl. I average about 15.7 mpg with the top down and 17.9 with the top on.