Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

MY FIRST WRANGLER
By sgttony

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a 2nd vehicle that could get me off road for fishing. Something dependable and good on gas. I have a luxury SUV (gas guzzler), and I really did not want to take that fishing! I chose my 2004 TJ with 28,000 miles with brand new 31" tires, chrome 15" wheels, Soft top manual 5 speed. I can get to 75 MPH on the highway, but past 76 it starts to get a little rough! I am in 80-90 degree weather with no AC, but I take off the upper soft top doors, the side windows, and role the back windw and I get a cool breeze! AC not needed! For more power and better fuel mileage I am adding a cold air intake and replacing the exhaust system! This has become my daily driver and I love this thing!

4x4 ruggedness!

Lots of fun, surprisingly practical.
By helilog

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Downshift the 4 cylinder early for power, 3rd gear is good for 75 mph, don't be afraid to spin the engine up. It is a twin cam after all. Used thusly, the engine is plenty peppy. Expect 20 mpg town, 24 hwy. Five speed tranny is notchy and vague, a real antique. The later 6-speed is better. I've got aftermarket sliding glass side curtains on the stock low cut doors. Much quieter and more convenient than zipper plastic door windows. The low cut doors make for a good arm rest (since a Wrangler has none). Get a center console for the same reason. Seats could use more lumbar for 400 mile days.

Short vehicle length makes for a great town vehicle. Thirty seconds to take door curtains off for instant outdoors! Soft top on for shade but with all windows removed is great for summer. Takes 5 minutes to reassemble all door, side, and rear windows.

Can't think of any. It is what it is.

It's a Jeep
By Pratt

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this January 2010 as my first Jeep (SE trim, 5-speed manual). Overall I dig it, but I you gotta be sort of a Jeep fan to in my opinion. The ride is harsh (more bumpy than the average car, and the wind noise can be unbearable if you're just getting out of a Cobalt or anything other quiet car ride). On the other hand, from what I've seen, they're pretty reliable (I know mine is), and off roading is great alongside the many many accessories from tops to lift kits, you name it, there's probably an accessory for the jeep and that's always great!

convertible top, loads of Jeep aftermarket accessories

For 2004, the overall ride quality (including wind noise), longer-lasting material stock for the soft top.

A Blast To Drive
By Richard

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A rugged 4WD and almost a roadster in one! Handles great, and couldn't be more fun to drive. Other than some HVAC problems, it's been very reliable. My last Jeep was an 86 CJ-7 and this is like driving a Lexus compared to the CJ.

Looks, top down driving, how it handles. Jeep personality.

Very poor fuel economy for size of engine and vehicle, although it is heavy and solid. Not easy to put top up and down.

i dont know about this...
By D

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm going to be accosted for this but... I hate driving this thing, it is in perfect condition and all but it is HELL on the highway! You feel like the wind is going to take you and flip you over and It has almost happened a few times. It wont move in snow unless its in 4X4. Don't get caught in a snow storm on the highway because driving in 4wd on the highway is scary also. Overall its a very dangerous vehicle if you do a lot of highway driving. The newer ones address those problems and its not as bad but do be careful, and choose wisely if you are going to drive this on the highway. Also my local dealer is full of scammers and traveling salesman.

nothing, mine has no options whatsoever. no backseat no ac, nothing.

make is safer on the highway. more standard options like a backseat and ac.