2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Jeeper 4 Life
By Jeep Rowdy on 04/24/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had 4wd pick-ups and other vehicles, but this is my first Jeep and I absolutely love it. It's boxy, bouncy, and loud - but if I wanted a Cadillac I would have bought one! I've got a 2" lift, 33" MT mud tires (great for off-road, but I'll be switching to Silent Armors when these are worn out) and lots of chrome accessories. Did I mention I got the electric lime green color? I can always find her even in the most crowded parking lot.

great jeep
By jeepowner on 08/27/08 15:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this Jeep for 1 1/2 years. So far I love it. It is great in the mud or snow and I don't even have a lift on it. It is marginal at interstate speeds. Rough riding but that is expected. You learn to love it. The worst part is that the engine is underpowered. I added a Banks Cold Air Intake and that helped out a lot. I hope to put a cat-back exhaust system on soon. Great fun in the summer with the top and doors off.

Jeep Fan
By unlimited on 08/01/06 09:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Jeep, and I'm planning on trading in my current Jeep and buying the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited this Fall. A Jeep is not a metal box on wheels, its a reflection on life and its pleasures.

Fun Weekends, horrible daily driver.
By Keith on 01/17/06 02:21 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's nice to go off roading, but it gets old quick, and I bought a second vehicle because it is simply impossible to live with on a daily basis. The MANUAL tranny had a factory defect and needed replaced ... all while the dealer took 3 weeks and provided no rental car, so I spent my Christmas and New Years with a $426 payment and no car! The vehicle had a fender bender too, and never ran right since, despite being fixed 3 times more. My driveshaft parts are very rusty, even though I live in one of the driest deserts on earth! The constant vibration on the freeway is the true reason I am trading this vehicle in, despite the loss I'll take. If you really want one, save $$$, buy used!

One Bad Mud Machine
By Brandon on 01/07/06 20:25 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great stock but better with 4 inch suspension lift, 6 KC lights, and 33X12.50 mud terrains. We bought it used with 2,000 miles on it. Use it everyday and even in mud holes on the weekends. Once we get a "family" SUV we're going to keep adding on. It's a Jeep thing, some people will never really understand.

Poorer quality compared to 2003
By BRIANW710 on 07/10/05 01:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After less than 150 miles the rear brakes were making a metal to metal grinding noise. When I took it back to the dealer the service manager said, "It was driven with the parking brake on" (exact words). And the mechanic said, "Well, I prepped it and I didn't have the brake on." WHAT DO THEY THINK I AM? AN IDIOT? They had to order the replacement brake pads. When I returned the new pads were defective! Talk about standing behind your product. Not very good on poor highways. Had the tires knocked out of balanced twice within 1000 miles. I'm actually discouraged by my treatment by the service people. And I'm looking to get rid of it.

Wrangler X
By It's a Jeep thing!!! on 04/08/05 12:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is one type of car/truck/SUV that everyone wants. We have owned sports cars, trucks and minivans but I have always wanted a Wrangler. This is the most fun you can have in anything out there. We live in NE Ohio about 60 miles south of Lake Erie. Just last week it was 72 degrees on a Friday and 10 inches of snow on Sunday morning. Our Wrangler has handled everything our weather has thrown at us. From winter snows to the top down fun in the summer; you just can't find that in any other SUV.

Too much FUN!
By Neophyte on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Awesome fun factor, but better as a second or third vehicle. It's unbeatable off road, but if you are considering all the car-like SUV's, remember that Wrangler is made with ONE purpose in mind: Off-road.

ADD 4" Skyjacker and 33" All Terrains
By KenJeep1978 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've got a X and at 2500 miles I added a 4" Skyjacker lift with 33" tires. I have to say I do believe that is the best compatiblity for Jeep. Gears 1 through 4 are terrific but 5th struggles at high speeds. Just recently drove cross country and hardly saw 70. But that when I remind myself its a jeep. Can also easily tow 2700 pound boat with ease.

Still the same
By koolbreeze40 on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

As long as you understand its capabailities on road its no problem. Dont turn corners at a high speed or the tires will let you know. But take it to the woods or training area and smile from ear to ear. I have to purchase a winch because the mud holes that M1A1 Tanks leave are deep.