Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Love my Wrangler!
By thill21

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This jeep is awesome. My only complaints are that it is slow to pick up speed, limited cargo space, and interior could be designed more modernly perhaps with an aux input factory installed. It is fun and easy to drive. Handles well in the mud, snow, ice, rain, etc. The floors have plugs you can take out if you leave your top down and it gets rained in. Its super easy to clean the interior if it gets wet or muddy. So far, i've had to replace my timing belt and gas sensor. other than that, i havent had any problems out of mine.

turns in small places, handles excellent in the snow. tough- helped tow a few cars out of ditches, make our own parking spaces, when there are none left, can take it over a curb if needed.

aux input, tinted windows, neoprone seat covers, bigger engine

MY FIRST WRANGLER
By sgttony

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a 2nd vehicle that could get me off road for fishing. Something dependable and good on gas. I have a luxury SUV (gas guzzler), and I really did not want to take that fishing! I chose my 2004 TJ with 28,000 miles with brand new 31" tires, chrome 15" wheels, Soft top manual 5 speed. I can get to 75 MPH on the highway, but past 76 it starts to get a little rough! I am in 80-90 degree weather with no AC, but I take off the upper soft top doors, the side windows, and role the back windw and I get a cool breeze! AC not needed! For more power and better fuel mileage I am adding a cold air intake and replacing the exhaust system! This has become my daily driver and I love this thing!

4x4 ruggedness!

04 jeep wrangler sport
By drock05

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing is first i LOVE my jeep. If you dont like bumpy and loud buy a dumb cadillac if you want good gas mileage buy a stupid civic. But if you like wondering on and off road at anytime and having a blast while doing it. then look no further. the sound bar is awesome. ive only had mine stuck once that was in snow that had been plowed 2 days before and was up over my hood and i have a 3 inch suspension lift with 33" BFG A/T.. you can be driving on the street one minute and the next climbing the side of a mountain. no other vehicle can do what a jeep does. i guess you have to be a jeep person to be in love with a jeep as much as i am.

Lots of fun, surprisingly practical.
By helilog

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Downshift the 4 cylinder early for power, 3rd gear is good for 75 mph, don't be afraid to spin the engine up. It is a twin cam after all. Used thusly, the engine is plenty peppy. Expect 20 mpg town, 24 hwy. Five speed tranny is notchy and vague, a real antique. The later 6-speed is better. I've got aftermarket sliding glass side curtains on the stock low cut doors. Much quieter and more convenient than zipper plastic door windows. The low cut doors make for a good arm rest (since a Wrangler has none). Get a center console for the same reason. Seats could use more lumbar for 400 mile days.

Short vehicle length makes for a great town vehicle. Thirty seconds to take door curtains off for instant outdoors! Soft top on for shade but with all windows removed is great for summer. Takes 5 minutes to reassemble all door, side, and rear windows.

Can't think of any. It is what it is.

Good to go
By Rockunlimited

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have modded my Rubi, but even in stock form it had out perform a very modded "Sport." Go Rubi. it has better axles (Dana 44 front and rear) and a 4:1 T-case, and drives selectable diff locks. The best way to describe a Jeep is; When looking at what they are designed to do, nothing in the world can compare. When it comes to everything else, they leave a lot to be desired. They do not ride great and they are not roomy, but they are a convertible for the summer, 4wd for the winter and just a whole lot of fun to drive.

4:1 t-case, lockers, beefy axles

factory lift & winch option (Mopar has it for the Dodge Power Wagon).