Tomb Raider edition
By Frank on
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
Happy with everything except disappointed with the engine performance. It seems that the engine will backfire on a downshift once and a while. The Jeep dealer told me that someone else was complaining about it and that it was bad gas. So I've tried different gas stations and It's still a problem. I suspect it's a fuel management issue and is normal for very long straight inline six design.The horsepower is lacking for the size of the six and how much gas mileage you get out of it. I bought the Jeep for the power but 4 cylinder cars passed me in the Rockies. Technologically It seems behind the times, related to engine performance. Need some R&D for a factory installed supercharger.
Favorite Features
The classic look of the Jeep. It's the most rugged compact SUV available, very confident when headed for the mountains or when in snow/mud. It's great for finding those small parking spots without having to think about cars damaging your bumper. It's easy to work on since it's not too complex.
Suggested Improvements
Add more technology to the engine to improve gas mileage versus performance. Fix engine hesitation during a down shift with a five speed manual. Add a defrost option with a recycle mode as well, so I don't have to breath the smog. On Tomb Raider edition the screws loosen on bushwacker fenders.