2003 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Jeep Rubicon: 3 Years Later &

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Jeep Rubicon: 3 Years Later & Loving It!
By John on

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After 3 years of ownership and more than 35,000 miles of driving in every type of weather, terrain, on-and off-road condition, I have to say that the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has impressed me as the best built and most capable Jeep that I've owned to date--this one makes Jeep #6. For a Jeep, the ride is comfortable and the seats allow greater adjustment over past models. The suspension is firm and well matched for both on road handling and off-road articulation. The hard top and soft top are both made well and equally quiet when driving at highway speeds. The sailcloth soft top is holding up much better than my previous soft tops from earlier TJ models. This one's a keeper!

The dual lockers are truly what makes the Rubicon unique from my other Jeeps. Put it in low 4wd, hit the button and hang on because it's going wherever it's pointed!

I liked the Goodyear MT/Rs when they were new. They are tough off-road tires! However, as they wear, they became dangerous on wet surfaces. This prompted me to switch to the new Cooper STTs that have siping for better rain and wet surface traction. The STTs also do very well off-road.