Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Definitely Glad I Bought One
By TBNNashua

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After my SUV was totalled in an accident, I decided to get the vehicle that I wanted since I was 4 years old - a Jeep. I am so glad that I did. I cannot imagine getting anything else in the future. The Jeep does not have much pickup and not so great fuel economy (I do have the V6) compared to other vehicles, but that is fine by me. I can deal with that one item for all the other pluses.

There is nothing like riding around in the summer with the top down and doors off. It handles an incredible amount of snow - In the northeast, it is a necessity to have a vehicle that can handle a variety of weather. The Wrangler can do it all!

Better fuel economy and better sound system.

Best Decision I've Ever Made!
By ABaker

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

People tried to discourage me. My dad said it was unsafe, my mom worried, friends said it was not practical. I AM SO GLAD I did NOT listen! I have never had so much fun!!! It is VERY versatile and can haul a lot. It's been to the beach, camping & highway driving EVERY day. It really has been fun. It came with a hard top, but I bought a soft top and I cannot imagine putting the hard back on. The soft top is so versatile and fun. It stays off all weekend. AND it is NOT that hard to manage. I think the Editors' reviews were too harsh-- sound like a dad's review! ENJOY IT

The soft top

Better gas mileage, but that goes for all SUVs!

My New Jeep
By doober

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The SE model with 2.4L I-4 engine is underpowered and uses a lot of gas for an I-4. The engine seems rev happy for an offroad engine. Gearing is awesome in the 5 speed transmission, although 3rd gear could stand to be a bit lower and closer to 2nd's ratio. Highway sppeds in excess of 65mph are hard to reach even on a flat surface during a calm dry day. Design, both interior and exterior, is classic bare basics Jeep. Overall a great car if you are into Jeeps.

4.10:1 gearing, highly customizable, unbeatable offroad prowess, excellent city handling, solid as a rock, very utilitarian, awesome articulation, able to fit a 31" tire in stock form.

Needs more low and mid range power. Standard Hard Top. Shorter front bucket seats. Gorund clearance is less than 2002 and earlier, ditch the Rubicon skid plates.

tom'd used jeep purchase review
By trtrudey16

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are a "gas" to drive. You want to throw on aflannel shirt and your hiking boots and head for a field. The other people who drive them wave to you so you feel as if you are part of some "club". I'm not certain if its a vehicle or a "lifestyle". I love it so far.

ride height, utility, sure-footedness, visibility

none

Nothing like a Jeep
By Frederic S. Gionet

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing has a personality like no other, and makes Canadian snowstorms a really fun experience. The mechanical aspects are pretty rudimentary, as the inline 6 growls without putting much power, and has a drinking problem worse than some of my party buddies (from 11MPG in winter to 19mpg in a smooth highway drive). The 4.7 V8 or new Liberty Diesel would most likely be smoother, more powerful and probably better on gas. Both Hardtop and Soft top are fairly quiet and insulate from the elements. Heater and AC are powerful enough to counter the elements. .

Unique look, non-pretentious character, off-road capabilities, high seating...and of course the fact it is a convertible.

Drivetrain should be updated to something more modern with better fuel economy. Put more retro-looking dash/guages instead of plastic...and make the soft top easier to put up and down.