Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
Definitely Glad I Bought One
By TBNNashua

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After my SUV was totalled in an accident, I decided to get the vehicle that I wanted since I was 4 years old - a Jeep. I am so glad that I did. I cannot imagine getting anything else in the future. The Jeep does not have much pickup and not so great fuel economy (I do have the V6) compared to other vehicles, but that is fine by me. I can deal with that one item for all the other pluses.

Favorite Features

There is nothing like riding around in the summer with the top down and doors off. It handles an incredible amount of snow - In the northeast, it is a necessity to have a vehicle that can handle a variety of weather. The Wrangler can do it all!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy and better sound system.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY JEEP
By Laurie

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep - everything about it. Only thing that I have recently encountered is something called the "death wobble"... pretty scary, but I think we finally got it in order after replacing the track bar and steering stabilizer and found that there was 45 pounds of pressure in one tire and 36 in the other (was that way when I purchased it - unbeknownst to me). In any event, so far it is back to being "my baby".

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

To be able to finally conquer the death wobble.

You cant go wrong with a jeep
By JOHNNY

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Jeep wrangler I had a 2001 sport and I loved it. Just when I thought Jeep couldn't get any better I bought the Jeep I've always wanted (well since 03) the Rubicon and I'm very impressed with its performance and capability.

Favorite Features

Its go anywhere and all year round fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

probably fuel economy, but i'm putting some after market intake, muffler and chip to improve that.

Great Year for a Wrangler!
By Krakenbound

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a used Wrangler to use as both a daily driver and a weekend trail runner, the 2003 year is a very good choice. This year saw the intro of the new 4 speed automatic transmission, making freeway driving easier. It had already seen a engine upgrade in 2001, and also now has the option for rear disk brakes (faster stopping, better feel and much easier to repair). Aside from the later Unlimited body extension option and the Rubicon off road package that became available in 2004 (and together in 2005), there is no better Wrangler to consider than a 2003 (Unless you want a fat/wide 2007+, which can't get though some desert canyons I wheel in!)

Favorite Features

190hp 6 Cyl Engine, 42RLE Auto Transmission, refined aftermarket options.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a full, frame mounted roll bar instead of the sport rail-into-window frame design, which will not withstand a roll.

Not for the faint of heart.
By madmanstan

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you plan on driving on the road all the time and you are very young, maybe this vehicl will do, but it has average gas mileage to be expected from an american SUV and its a rough ride in town. That said if you have time to actually use your jeep for offroading and trail running the jeep wrangler is excellent. I cant imagine trying to take a scion up some of the places I have gone in this jeep, and the soft top and removeable doors are always off. Great to drive at night in the summer here and the improved coilspring suspension is a step up from the older leafspring. Still stiff though, so like I say, its not for the faint of heart.

Favorite Features

Bulletproof 4.0 Inline 6. Soft top classic round headlights ( square ones suck )

Suggested Improvements

Could have had the X come with a dana 44 axle option. Just because i'm not rock crawling yet doesnt mean I dont need some more durability. Would have liked to have had a little head start on my modifications, but I have to find new axles for it because I already push this jeep to its limits. But for the price it was all I could afford, rubicon was just out of my budget range in up front cost.