Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Nothing like a Jeep
By Frederic S. Gionet

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing has a personality like no other, and makes Canadian snowstorms a really fun experience. The mechanical aspects are pretty rudimentary, as the inline 6 growls without putting much power, and has a drinking problem worse than some of my party buddies (from 11MPG in winter to 19mpg in a smooth highway drive). The 4.7 V8 or new Liberty Diesel would most likely be smoother, more powerful and probably better on gas. Both Hardtop and Soft top are fairly quiet and insulate from the elements. Heater and AC are powerful enough to counter the elements. .

Unique look, non-pretentious character, off-road capabilities, high seating...and of course the fact it is a convertible.

Drivetrain should be updated to something more modern with better fuel economy. Put more retro-looking dash/guages instead of plastic...and make the soft top easier to put up and down.

Rough it with confort Jeep Wrangler
By M Eastwood

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This jeep wrangler is an upgrade from your son's california college vehicle that he bought to drive the girls around in. It has improved ride, easier top, and all the safety features of a "regular" sedan. It still goes through flooded roads, across fields with the ease of the bigger "monsters" we hear so much about. Fuel economy is decent. I love the fact that the back seat folds forward to make the mini truck I wanted when I removed the seat from my old wrangler. Now I have the best of both worlds as I approach my 60 birthday. Signed the Blonde Supercharged Outdoors Woman

real character Ease of top removal Saftey side doors Fun to drive sound bar to hear favorite music Fold up back seat airbags

Can't think of any at this point

I owned my Jeep for 1 hour
By tbd2001

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a white Sport Model, with a hard top. I was in heaven as I drove it home. I parked it on the driveway and got out. I then noticed a black rubber hose hanging from the back of the car, which God knows for how long I had been dragging. As I inspected the bottom of the Wrangler I noticed a loose piece of plastic, on the back of the passengerís side back fender. This piece had flapped out because of a missing screw. In addition, what I believed to be the differential axle was completely covered in rust. I called the dealership and told them to have the car I had just traded in ready because I wanted it back. One hour later I was back in my old car.

After my experience, I can't say there are any. I owned my Wrangler for 1 hour so I believe I probably qualify for a Guinness record.

Implement Quality Assurance!!! We are smart human beings who are not willing to buy just any piece of junk that rolls our of your factory.

Me and my Jeep
By Wulffan

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Jeep. No other vehichle I've owned has given me such a good feeling to drive. The Jeep just feels so right in so many ways. I took her out "wheelin" right after break-in period. I only took her on what wheelers call "the doe run", (easy trails), after all, it is a brand new vehicle. Only modification is bigger tires. (I really don't understand why they even put small tires on at the factory, it just isn't right on a jeep.) I was absolutely amazed at the obstacles I went over easily. After the 2nd worst winter in NY's history with it, and now a hot summer, I can truly say this is a vehicle for all seasons.

Of course my favorite feature is that the top comes off. I love the feel it has driving too. It's peppy, rides nice for what it is, and fits in really tight spots. Has the ability to get you anywhere, anytime.

The only improvement I suggest is the gas mileage....BUT... we must realize the factory has guidelines for emissions it must meet. There are ways of course we owners can improve the mileage....just not enough room here to explain it further.

Fun, reliable and jugs down gas
By El Chamuquin

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jeep is definetly a fun filled vehicle. It says "I have no boundaries and nothing to tie me down". If you want a fun car to drive this is it. But keep in mind that this is a brute that will go through some gas quick. With all the technology today you think they could make it a little more gas efficient. Have no doubts, this vehicle isnt made for paved roads, but for the outback. Its only true use isnt in a concrete jungle but four wheeling out in the countryside. As a fun vehicle it has no match, as a city vehicle it could use some modifications.

4.0 litre engine very responsive glad I didnt get the 2.4 Fun to just drive, I like the handling. Feels strong, safe and looks great.

Engine could be better suited for city use, at least in gas efficiency. Also seems to need smoother power when going over 55mph. Seems to idle suddenly higher and gives the impression it has a hard time.