2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2003 Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sort Reviews by

Nothing like a Jeep
By Frederic S. Gionet

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing has a personality like no other, and makes Canadian snowstorms a really fun experience. The mechanical aspects are pretty rudimentary, as the inline 6 growls without putting much power, and has a drinking problem worse than some of my party buddies (from 11MPG in winter to 19mpg in a smooth highway drive). The 4.7 V8 or new Liberty Diesel would most likely be smoother, more powerful and probably better on gas. Both Hardtop and Soft top are fairly quiet and insulate from the elements. Heater and AC are powerful enough to counter the elements. .

Favorite Features

Unique look, non-pretentious character, off-road capabilities, high seating...and of course the fact it is a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Drivetrain should be updated to something more modern with better fuel economy. Put more retro-looking dash/guages instead of plastic...and make the soft top easier to put up and down.

I owned my Jeep for 1 hour
By tbd2001

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a white Sport Model, with a hard top. I was in heaven as I drove it home. I parked it on the driveway and got out. I then noticed a black rubber hose hanging from the back of the car, which God knows for how long I had been dragging. As I inspected the bottom of the Wrangler I noticed a loose piece of plastic, on the back of the passengerís side back fender. This piece had flapped out because of a missing screw. In addition, what I believed to be the differential axle was completely covered in rust. I called the dealership and told them to have the car I had just traded in ready because I wanted it back. One hour later I was back in my old car.

Favorite Features

After my experience, I can't say there are any. I owned my Wrangler for 1 hour so I believe I probably qualify for a Guinness record.

Suggested Improvements

Implement Quality Assurance!!! We are smart human beings who are not willing to buy just any piece of junk that rolls our of your factory.

Rough it with confort Jeep Wrangler
By M Eastwood

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This jeep wrangler is an upgrade from your son's california college vehicle that he bought to drive the girls around in. It has improved ride, easier top, and all the safety features of a "regular" sedan. It still goes through flooded roads, across fields with the ease of the bigger "monsters" we hear so much about. Fuel economy is decent. I love the fact that the back seat folds forward to make the mini truck I wanted when I removed the seat from my old wrangler. Now I have the best of both worlds as I approach my 60 birthday. Signed the Blonde Supercharged Outdoors Woman

Favorite Features

real character Ease of top removal Saftey side doors Fun to drive sound bar to hear favorite music Fold up back seat airbags

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any at this point

Me and my Jeep
By Wulffan

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Jeep. No other vehichle I've owned has given me such a good feeling to drive. The Jeep just feels so right in so many ways. I took her out "wheelin" right after break-in period. I only took her on what wheelers call "the doe run", (easy trails), after all, it is a brand new vehicle. Only modification is bigger tires. (I really don't understand why they even put small tires on at the factory, it just isn't right on a jeep.) I was absolutely amazed at the obstacles I went over easily. After the 2nd worst winter in NY's history with it, and now a hot summer, I can truly say this is a vehicle for all seasons.

Favorite Features

Of course my favorite feature is that the top comes off. I love the feel it has driving too. It's peppy, rides nice for what it is, and fits in really tight spots. Has the ability to get you anywhere, anytime.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I suggest is the gas mileage....BUT... we must realize the factory has guidelines for emissions it must meet. There are ways of course we owners can improve the mileage....just not enough room here to explain it further.

Fun, reliable and jugs down gas
By El Chamuquin

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jeep is definetly a fun filled vehicle. It says "I have no boundaries and nothing to tie me down". If you want a fun car to drive this is it. But keep in mind that this is a brute that will go through some gas quick. With all the technology today you think they could make it a little more gas efficient. Have no doubts, this vehicle isnt made for paved roads, but for the outback. Its only true use isnt in a concrete jungle but four wheeling out in the countryside. As a fun vehicle it has no match, as a city vehicle it could use some modifications.

Favorite Features

4.0 litre engine very responsive glad I didnt get the 2.4 Fun to just drive, I like the handling. Feels strong, safe and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could be better suited for city use, at least in gas efficiency. Also seems to need smoother power when going over 55mph. Seems to idle suddenly higher and gives the impression it has a hard time.

The Best!
By lovemyjeepsofar

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler but, being in my late 40's, I thought it was a childish fantasy that I should finally put to bed. Then I came to my senses! It's fun, powerful, reliable (so far) and I can go anywhere in it. The 4WD-on-the-fly is easy and quite liberating. I'm short (4'11'') and to finally be able to see more than the back end of another car is one of the best features of this vehicle for me. Sturdiness and safety ratings are another huge plus. The awsome turning radius makes parking a complete breeze. And then there's the "Jeep Wave". It makes you feel at home wherever you are.

Favorite Features

Great power. Configuration flexibility. On and off-road stability. Height and weight.

Suggested Improvements

Power locks and auto-side-mirrors.

Its madd hott
By Giuseppe A

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car's awesome its fun to drive the gas mileage isnt badd and it's more or less common sense to take apart, everything is just straight out there no questions. with out a doubt that is a madd fun car to chill in and i recieve compliments left and right. im pickin up girls here and there. its a standard pimp mobile.

Favorite Features

i like that suspension, the compliments, and the way you dont have to put the top up in the rain. waterproof.

Suggested Improvements

nuttin. its a pimped out crazy hott ride bro, whats to change?

Topless in Houston!
By Jeep23Girl

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I currently have a '97 Wrangler Sport. I bought it January 98. I just recently went over 100k miles in it on 7/10/03 @ 5:32pm. Since the day I brought my Jeep home, I HAVE NOT had any problems with it. The body is built tough, to over- ome any obstacle. Actually, the tough- ness of my Jeep kinda saved my life! I was into a nasty hit and run accident in April '03, costing $8k in repairs. My Jeep was thrown about 20 feet onto the side walk and into the bushes. If I was to be in another vehicle, Thanks Jeep! -Kim H. Houston, TX

Favorite Features

I LOOOOOOOVE the pick-up I get in my Jeep. When am on the road and the light turns green, vroooooom off I go! On the freeway it is awesome to not have to worry about getting hit from behind, I jsut go in the next lane and vroom off.

Suggested Improvements

Hmmm, if I was to change anything to my Jeep, I would add some more cushion to the front seats. Other than that.... I wouldnt buy trade for anything else (of course unless it was a brand new Jeep) ~(=

jeep wrangler
By jp

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle is fun to drive good visability because of height solid reliable vehicle(pulled out a few 9 inch tree stumps clearing yard) tires a little noisy when driving without radio on because of soft top top still tight enought after 1 year use to resist wind flap at high speeds

Favorite Features

responsive engine solid vehicle design

Suggested Improvements

side panel should be reinforced fuel economy

The best vehicle ever!
By Moneygoose

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Obviously, you buy a Jeep because there is no alternative. No other SUV can match the fun factor that comes with the Jeep Wrangler. Removing the top, part time 4WD, the cool headlights... Not to mention that it can go anywhere. AND, you get to wave at every other person on earth that knows what you know when you drive by them in their Jeep.

Favorite Features

The removable top... The ability to change up the configuration of you seats, your top, etc. so that its like you have a new car whenever you want!

Suggested Improvements

1.) Adjustable headrests 2.) Optional "Captain's" chair like the Ford Explorer has...