2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Not for the faint of heart.
By madmanstan on 08/11/12 03:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you plan on driving on the road all the time and you are very young, maybe this vehicl will do, but it has average gas mileage to be expected from an american SUV and its a rough ride in town. That said if you have time to actually use your jeep for offroading and trail running the jeep wrangler is excellent. I cant imagine trying to take a scion up some of the places I have gone in this jeep, and the soft top and removeable doors are always off. Great to drive at night in the summer here and the improved coilspring suspension is a step up from the older leafspring. Still stiff though, so like I say, its not for the faint of heart.

Great Year for a Wrangler!
By Krakenbound on 03/07/10 15:40 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a used Wrangler to use as both a daily driver and a weekend trail runner, the 2003 year is a very good choice. This year saw the intro of the new 4 speed automatic transmission, making freeway driving easier. It had already seen a engine upgrade in 2001, and also now has the option for rear disk brakes (faster stopping, better feel and much easier to repair). Aside from the later Unlimited body extension option and the Rubicon off road package that became available in 2004 (and together in 2005), there is no better Wrangler to consider than a 2003 (Unless you want a fat/wide 2007+, which can't get though some desert canyons I wheel in!)

All you need in a Jeep
By Trent Ford on 02/11/08 14:10 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the Wrangler brand new in '03 and have never, ever changed anything on it. Seriously, since driving it off the lot, it has not been back to the dealer. Even still has original brakes. I did change out the tires for 38" last year. Great reliability!

Most fun I've ever had!
By Ross on 02/10/08 19:28 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I never thought I'd own a Wrangler. I was actually looking for a Cherokee when I stumbled across this perfect 2003 X model. I've never had a vehicle more fun than this. I drive with a smile everyday. It actually rides quite well, the seats are fantastic, and the CD player with the factory subwoofer sounds great. I added stainless bumpers front and rear, a Magnaflow exhaust, and the K&N intake kit. It sounds excellent, and has better pick up. Driving it last summer, on a clear warm night, with the top off, I looked up to see the stars going by, and all seemed right in the world, if only for a few minutes. This vehicle is amazing... especially off road.

My first Jeep
By Jason on 07/10/06 15:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I was a kid in the 70's my dad had a couple of Jeeps and I have always been a fan. I finally had the opportunity to purchase a new Jeep in 2003. I have had absolutely no buyers remorse. It is my primary vehicle but when ever I have the chance, I take it off road. The first time I took it off road I knew I was getting exactly what I wanted. The first snow fall was the second time I knew I had made the correct purchase. The only problem I have with my Jeep is I have no excuse for missing work during our Pennsylvania winters.

love my Jeep but...
By bitharvest on 07/03/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned 3 Wranglers, and 15 other Jeeps. This one is great in the sunshine and the snow, and can be loads of fun. That said, I must say that the gas mileage is horrible (10-13mpg around town); that as soon as it rains it's all over the road; and that the paint quality is the worst I have ever seen on any vehicle, including late '80's GMs. My jeep is babied (hand washed, waxed, etc.), and the paint is still peeling off. Our two grand Cherokees purchased around the same time do not share this problem, so this is something exclusive to Wranglers. Yes, it's a lot of fun, but I wish that Chrysler would have made the Wrangler with more love!

Wanted one for a long time
By Bob Nukis on 02/12/06 12:02 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For years I've wanted to own a Jeep Wrangler, before it became a Wrangler. When the CJ's were around I thought about purchasing one, but with a wife and growing family it was impossible. Once the kids were out of the house I worked very hard at finding the ideal Wrangler. I like the four wheel drive, the style of the body, the simple things about it. The Wrangler changes on occasion, but you'll alway remember a JEEP before the companies who want to be like them. JEEP Wrangler one of Americans best, and will be around for many years to come. Will the wannabes, probably not. Funny how a WWII JEEP turned into one of America's favorite recreation vehicle. Take that wannabes.

Dangerous on wet roads!!
By shinxie on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had my jeep for two months but had to trade it in because after SEVERAL close calls, I finally had an accident when it slid into the back of another car on wet roads. I have no doubt that had I'd been driving a car, it would have stopped - there was plenty of room. It's also very difficult to see what other vehicles are doing when you are trying to change lanes and merge into traffic. On the good side though, it was a fun car and the a/c was excellent and got cold very fast.

Definitely Glad I Bought One
By TBNNashua on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After my SUV was totalled in an accident, I decided to get the vehicle that I wanted since I was 4 years old - a Jeep. I am so glad that I did. I cannot imagine getting anything else in the future. The Jeep does not have much pickup and not so great fuel economy (I do have the V6) compared to other vehicles, but that is fine by me. I can deal with that one item for all the other pluses.

Best Decision I've Ever Made!
By ABaker on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

People tried to discourage me. My dad said it was unsafe, my mom worried, friends said it was not practical. I AM SO GLAD I did NOT listen! I have never had so much fun!!! It is VERY versatile and can haul a lot. It's been to the beach, camping & highway driving EVERY day. It really has been fun. It came with a hard top, but I bought a soft top and I cannot imagine putting the hard back on. The soft top is so versatile and fun. It stays off all weekend. AND it is NOT that hard to manage. I think the Editors' reviews were too harsh-- sound like a dad's review! ENJOY IT