Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Not for the faint of heart.
By madmanstan

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you plan on driving on the road all the time and you are very young, maybe this vehicl will do, but it has average gas mileage to be expected from an american SUV and its a rough ride in town. That said if you have time to actually use your jeep for offroading and trail running the jeep wrangler is excellent. I cant imagine trying to take a scion up some of the places I have gone in this jeep, and the soft top and removeable doors are always off. Great to drive at night in the summer here and the improved coilspring suspension is a step up from the older leafspring. Still stiff though, so like I say, its not for the faint of heart.

Favorite Features

Bulletproof 4.0 Inline 6. Soft top classic round headlights ( square ones suck )

Suggested Improvements

Could have had the X come with a dana 44 axle option. Just because i'm not rock crawling yet doesnt mean I dont need some more durability. Would have liked to have had a little head start on my modifications, but I have to find new axles for it because I already push this jeep to its limits. But for the price it was all I could afford, rubicon was just out of my budget range in up front cost.

Jeep 2003 is an awesome 4x4 convertible
By yepper

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm living in Alaska. Life is good in a Jeep. This vehicle has a soft top which makes it the perfect Alaskan convertible. I have had it for about 4 years now and have great experiences. Never stuck in the snow, never miss the sun, and it even tows my little trailer.

Favorite Features

soft top, handling, durability, ease of care, maneuverability, reasonably priced, I love how it will granny itself out of a slick spot without needing to feather the clutch

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy, not a fast car of the light but sure footed leaving a stop sign on an icy hill

Great Year for a Wrangler!
By Krakenbound

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a used Wrangler to use as both a daily driver and a weekend trail runner, the 2003 year is a very good choice. This year saw the intro of the new 4 speed automatic transmission, making freeway driving easier. It had already seen a engine upgrade in 2001, and also now has the option for rear disk brakes (faster stopping, better feel and much easier to repair). Aside from the later Unlimited body extension option and the Rubicon off road package that became available in 2004 (and together in 2005), there is no better Wrangler to consider than a 2003 (Unless you want a fat/wide 2007+, which can't get though some desert canyons I wheel in!)

Favorite Features

190hp 6 Cyl Engine, 42RLE Auto Transmission, refined aftermarket options.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a full, frame mounted roll bar instead of the sport rail-into-window frame design, which will not withstand a roll.

Careful buying a Jeep they need to Fix!
By John

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler for a long time. Finally bought a used 2003 and after driving for approximately 20,000 miles I am now experiencing the "Death Wobble" If you haven't had this happen with your Jeep you will!!! No real cure from what I am reading. Have to say I would not recommend buying a Jeep to anyone. Trying to fix the” Death Wobble” in my Jeep so I can sale the rig.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Death Wobble!!!!!!!!

Its a Jeep.
By Golf007

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the car new, and have used it primarily as a toy. It has been very reliable and has not required anything but normal maintenance. This is a great car for weekends and vacations, but I would not recommend it for everyday use. It is also great in poor weather conditions. The ride is not super comfortable, but that is expected for the type of vehicle. The hard-top is difficult to negotiate, and it becomes an ordeal to remove each season. The exterior metal is thin and dents easily, and the car burns gas at an alarming rate. I replaced the air filter with K and N, and that improved mileage about 2 MPG. All that said, I still love my Jeep.

Favorite Features

Taking the top down and jamming gears. This is a fun traveler for our mountain vacations. It handles great in poor weather conditions. This car can go almost anywhere. The car sits high, and seems very safe to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Both plastic doors cracked in the same spot on top. Fuel economy is poor. Manual transmission doesn't have enough power for a 4.0L V6 given the amount of fuel used. Starting to rust around the rear bumper.