Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

You cant go wrong with a jeep
By JOHNNY

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Jeep wrangler I had a 2001 sport and I loved it. Just when I thought Jeep couldn't get any better I bought the Jeep I've always wanted (well since 03) the Rubicon and I'm very impressed with its performance and capability.

Its go anywhere and all year round fun to drive.

probably fuel economy, but i'm putting some after market intake, muffler and chip to improve that.

Rubicon
By mattv

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Jeep back in January of 2007. It was not to a few little dings and soft top. I got it in Georgia and I dorve it to North Carolina and latter to Colorado. The thing gets about 18 to 20 mpg on the highway and 15 in town. Right now it has about 90,000 miles on it. The only problem I have had is the trakbar on the front axle. I have had to replace it twice but it happened within 5000 miles of each time it went out and the dealer replaced it free of charge the second time. The stock front bumper is a piece of junk also. I got a tube bumper that looks great and I am going to drive it back to North Carolina when I get back from my deployment.

Rubicon edition no other jeeps compare to what you get stock. The gas mileage is great for a jeep. between 18-20 on the highway.

The trak bars are not that great which I have heard of that as a problem on the TJs. The stock bumper is a piece of junk.

Jeep Rubicon: 3 Years Later & Loving It!
By John

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After 3 years of ownership and more than 35,000 miles of driving in every type of weather, terrain, on-and off-road condition, I have to say that the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has impressed me as the best built and most capable Jeep that I've owned to date--this one makes Jeep #6. For a Jeep, the ride is comfortable and the seats allow greater adjustment over past models. The suspension is firm and well matched for both on road handling and off-road articulation. The hard top and soft top are both made well and equally quiet when driving at highway speeds. The sailcloth soft top is holding up much better than my previous soft tops from earlier TJ models. This one's a keeper!

The dual lockers are truly what makes the Rubicon unique from my other Jeeps. Put it in low 4wd, hit the button and hang on because it's going wherever it's pointed!

I liked the Goodyear MT/Rs when they were new. They are tough off-road tires! However, as they wear, they became dangerous on wet surfaces. This prompted me to switch to the new Cooper STTs that have siping for better rain and wet surface traction. The STTs also do very well off-road.

BUY A RUBICON!
By SK

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent truck, horrible on gas, easy to do work yourself, pulls large objects with ease (trees, vehicles stuck in mud). Eats gas though and be ready for frequent tire rotations. Also eats starters if you take it mudding.

Front and rear lockers, transfer case gearing, axle gearing, rock guards, rear disc brakes, NO ABS (don't need it on rock crawling) and aggressive puncture resistant tires convertible in the summer & unstoppable snow beast in the winter.

Stereo system is adequate but that's it. And uh, make the starter able to put up with mud use.

Tomb Raider edition
By Frank

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Happy with everything except disappointed with the engine performance. It seems that the engine will backfire on a downshift once and a while. The Jeep dealer told me that someone else was complaining about it and that it was bad gas. So I've tried different gas stations and It's still a problem. I suspect it's a fuel management issue and is normal for very long straight inline six design.The horsepower is lacking for the size of the six and how much gas mileage you get out of it. I bought the Jeep for the power but 4 cylinder cars passed me in the Rockies. Technologically It seems behind the times, related to engine performance. Need some R&D for a factory installed supercharger.

The classic look of the Jeep. It's the most rugged compact SUV available, very confident when headed for the mountains or when in snow/mud. It's great for finding those small parking spots without having to think about cars damaging your bumper. It's easy to work on since it's not too complex.

Add more technology to the engine to improve gas mileage versus performance. Fix engine hesitation during a down shift with a five speed manual. Add a defrost option with a recycle mode as well, so I don't have to breath the smog. On Tomb Raider edition the screws loosen on bushwacker fenders.