Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Not for the faint of heart.
By madmanstan

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you plan on driving on the road all the time and you are very young, maybe this vehicl will do, but it has average gas mileage to be expected from an american SUV and its a rough ride in town. That said if you have time to actually use your jeep for offroading and trail running the jeep wrangler is excellent. I cant imagine trying to take a scion up some of the places I have gone in this jeep, and the soft top and removeable doors are always off. Great to drive at night in the summer here and the improved coilspring suspension is a step up from the older leafspring. Still stiff though, so like I say, its not for the faint of heart.

Bulletproof 4.0 Inline 6. Soft top classic round headlights ( square ones suck )

Could have had the X come with a dana 44 axle option. Just because i'm not rock crawling yet doesnt mean I dont need some more durability. Would have liked to have had a little head start on my modifications, but I have to find new axles for it because I already push this jeep to its limits. But for the price it was all I could afford, rubicon was just out of my budget range in up front cost.

Great Year for a Wrangler!
By Krakenbound

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a used Wrangler to use as both a daily driver and a weekend trail runner, the 2003 year is a very good choice. This year saw the intro of the new 4 speed automatic transmission, making freeway driving easier. It had already seen a engine upgrade in 2001, and also now has the option for rear disk brakes (faster stopping, better feel and much easier to repair). Aside from the later Unlimited body extension option and the Rubicon off road package that became available in 2004 (and together in 2005), there is no better Wrangler to consider than a 2003 (Unless you want a fat/wide 2007+, which can't get though some desert canyons I wheel in!)

190hp 6 Cyl Engine, 42RLE Auto Transmission, refined aftermarket options.

Should come with a full, frame mounted roll bar instead of the sport rail-into-window frame design, which will not withstand a roll.

All you need in a Jeep
By Trent Ford

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the Wrangler brand new in '03 and have never, ever changed anything on it. Seriously, since driving it off the lot, it has not been back to the dealer. Even still has original brakes. I did change out the tires for 38" last year. Great reliability!

Security in the snow; fun in the sun

Horrible gas mileage; needs to come with 27" tires stock

Most fun I've ever had!
By Ross

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I never thought I'd own a Wrangler. I was actually looking for a Cherokee when I stumbled across this perfect 2003 X model. I've never had a vehicle more fun than this. I drive with a smile everyday. It actually rides quite well, the seats are fantastic, and the CD player with the factory subwoofer sounds great. I added stainless bumpers front and rear, a Magnaflow exhaust, and the K&N intake kit. It sounds excellent, and has better pick up. Driving it last summer, on a clear warm night, with the top off, I looked up to see the stars going by, and all seemed right in the world, if only for a few minutes. This vehicle is amazing... especially off road.

4.0 Inline 6, excellent seats, 4WD utility, tough as nails, smooth auto trans.

Better mileage would be nice, but you can't have it all. Wish it came in Olive Drab with stars on doors.

My first Jeep
By Jason

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I was a kid in the 70's my dad had a couple of Jeeps and I have always been a fan. I finally had the opportunity to purchase a new Jeep in 2003. I have had absolutely no buyers remorse. It is my primary vehicle but when ever I have the chance, I take it off road. The first time I took it off road I knew I was getting exactly what I wanted. The first snow fall was the second time I knew I had made the correct purchase. The only problem I have with my Jeep is I have no excuse for missing work during our Pennsylvania winters.

My favorite features are its 4WD ability and the fact that it is a convertible.

Free service.