Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Jeep Wrangler
By Carrie Cowell

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jeep Wrangler is definetly not a car for everybody, but for people that like a fun ride and don't mind the bumps, this car is great. The pro's are that it has 4 wheel drive in the winter and is a convertable in the summer. So you get the best of both worlds, and how many card do you know that you can do that. Also I like the feeling of freedom I get when I drive this car. Every time I get into my car it puts me in a good mood. The down sides are, it is not really great for groceries because there is not much storage space. And sometimes people complain about the bumpy ride. But all in all for me it is a daily escape and makes driving fun.

I like the 4 wheel drive in the winter and taking the top off in the summer. I also like the look of the Jeep and that it sits up high like a truck, without being a full truck.

I guess I would suggest make the soft top easier to take on and off, sometimes I find it hard to fit the pieces together. I would also recommend more cargo space. But I guess they already improved on that with the new Jeeps. Overall a great car.

Looks good, runs like crap
By JeepFL77

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you want to look good at the beach or driving thru your neighborhood, get a Wrangler Sport! Oh, and get one if you want a plastic and cheap interior, awful gas mileage, a hit or miss transmission, absolutely no cargo room, windows that scratch when you breathe, ventilation that turns on and off without turning it on or off, a cd player that skips at every bump, painful shocks, check engine light that is always on, POOR Dealer SERVICE, parts that RUST (screws, attachments on vehicle exterior, windows) and if you like replacing your windshield every three months, GET A WRANGLER. I cannot wait to get rid of this piece of garbage.

This is a great car
By Boulder Wrangler

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 X and then customized. This is a great way to build the perfect offroad vehicle. I love this car--and my kids (3 and 6) love it too- -as does my wife. I have had no problems AT ALL. This car is perfectly designed for what it is-- though probably not for commuters :) The car is unstoppable in snow and is very well balanced. When it slides, it slides well and enhances control. The Jeep X is very low cost and can be easily customized.

The 4.0 L engines is very good, and even with stock transmission has enormous amounts of torque. You can climb anything if you can get traction.

None. The gas mileage is fine for this kind of car -- high drag / big engine / high torque. This car is the essence of a long evolution cycle -- it is perfect for what its for.

First Jeep
By chopper

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It is reliable and fun. Think of this 4 wheeler as a Harley with more aftermarket accessories. Drawbacks, small cargo space, plastic dash, and you will have to downshift to 2nd gear to climb even the mildest of hill inclines at highway speeds. I have driven long distances twice (1200 miles and 1600 miles) and it is compariable as a standard cab small pickup. Mine is an 02 Sport but came with half doors, Khaki paint, and low gears not listed for 02. I think Jeep was experimenting with my '02 and a half Sport for the later Rubicon.

Convertible! High Seating Position! Perfect motor!

Improve gearing for inclines. Change dash to metalic. Overland length plus standard transmission would be best as a standard model (this would improve towing limitations of the Sport too). Large floor speakers to aid Soundbar. Better side mirrors to aid aft blindspots.

I LOVE MY JEEP
By ROBIN

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

BOUGHT MY JEEP A COUPLE OF MOTHS AGO, AFTER YEARS OF WANTING ONE. ALL OF MY FRIENDS LOVE IT, MAKES ME WONDER WHY THEY DON'T ALL JUST GET ONE. LOOKS SHARP, ESPECIALLY W/ THE WINDOWS OUT AND/OR THE TOP DOWN.

CONVERTIBLE TOP FOR SUMMER. 4X4 FOR WINTER, WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT. COURTESY LIGHTS ARE REALLY NICE TOO, GET THEM. DON'T PAY FOR A SPORT THE X IS EXACTLY THE SAME, JUST GET THE FEATURES YOU WANT.

GAS MILEAGE