2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
what a joke
By What a joke on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the worst vehicle i've ever driven. I have 6 cylinder, wish i had 4 because they put 3.07 gears in mine which makes it suck. I have not used 5th gear yet. can't climb hills in 4th. Gas mileage is about 14 (probably cause i can't use the high gears). Water comes in through floor when i go through puddles or it rains (about an inch, easy). Brakes warped when i got it, warped again at 12000 miles, again at 20,000 miles. Shakes like hell at 60+ mph. They said nothing was wrong. I've had two CJ's, 3 YJ's, and this TJ. Worst wrangler I ever bought. Never buy one again, unless it's an old CJ or a YJ. Plus it cost me almost twice as much as those ever did.

Jeep problems
By Big E on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

see below

Good Off-Road
By pgardner on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good off-road performer. My 6 cyl's gas mileage has been 15mpg off-road(4- Low), 17mpg city, and as high as 21mpg highway. For more ground clearance, I'm running 33x10.5x15 BFG MT/KM's on the stock 15x7 wheels, had to do a 2" spring spacer lift to fit.

New sport
By Doobie on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only two weeks of heavy driving so far, but it all I expected....FUN. Pleanty of low end and mid range torque. Accelerates decently. Getting 17 mpg with mixed, but mostly city driving with the A/C on. Would not be my choice for a family car; but, since my wife has the minivan, the family part is covered. This is for fun and commuting. I cant imagine anything more versatile. Just buy it.

fun
By reg on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like a four wheel drive Miata

I LOVE my Jeep!!!
By AllMyNeeds.com on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I could not be happier with my Jeep. I've taken it offroad several times and it does awesome!!!

Love you Baby
By Stevie O on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Always wanted one and now I have one. The experience is more fun than I thought. I would get another so I could have one just in case. Don't want every one having one. Ah, ok... Test drive one and your'll be hooked. I was tossed between a 2002 Camero SS and thought this was more of a change and looked and drove alot more in control. : )

My first Jeep...
By Gemini751 on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Prior to my Jeep I had a Geo Tracker... a bit cheaper with alot of options... but after many years of wanting a Jeep, finally a year ago, I was able to purchase a 2000 Jeep Sport, and it's been awesome. I love it's solid feel, and how it drives like a truck. It's a Jeep, it's not going to have alot of pickup, but as mentioned in many of these reviews the gas mileage could be better. Overall... I'm extremely happy with my Jeep... and can see myself driving one for a long time!

Beware of A/C
By Dante on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love, well...loved, my Jeep. I was everything I had hoped it would be. Mileage isn't great, but the fun factor more than compensates for such pour economy. Nonetheless, I have only had it a little more than 3 months, and it has already been to the shop 5 times for A/C issues. In fact, now I have bubbling interior paint and moldy carpet thanks to moisture from the A/C getting dribbled inside. And I know two other folks with the same issues.

Looking for fun? This is it!
By backslash on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

With a smoother suspension and amenities such as air conditioning and cruise control, this Jeep is at home on the streets AND the trails. The 4.0L inline six provides adequate power for most situations. Coupled with the 5-speed, you can expect a smooth power curve and decent acceleration. Inside, you'll find a tight but comfortable cockpit. Headroom is certainly not a problem and the steering wheel is in a comfortable position. The exterior is where this Jeep maintains the closest relationship to its elders. Unique styling that has not changed in decades allows functionality and gives personality.