Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

(Jeep TJ, Auto, under 100,000km on engine). Mixed Thoughts
By cam_

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this Jeep for almost 3 years. Here is what I have to say about these certain topics: Fuel Economy: It has the same fuel economy of a Honda Civic that has several holes in the fuel line. I average around 16 mpg during the winter and 19 mpg in the summer (All Stock Setup, Automatic Transmission). Do not buy this car if your concision about fuel. Do not drive over 110km/h..you wont make it to your destination. Driving: Interior is stone age compared to 2007+ models. Sound system sucks, speakers are made out of paper..literally. Off road is very fun, you wont get stuck. Getting into 4wL is tricky (high chance of grinding your gears) Reliability: Great, gas cap problem is common.

Favorite Features

Off road feature is great during the winter but impacts fuel economy greatly. Looks very aggressive. I get lots of positive comments. Lots of aftermarket parts, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for these aftermarket parts. These aftermarket parts also affect fuel economy, For example, upgrading to larger tires (33''-35'' tires), expect around 12-14 mpg. Soft top nice on hot days, doors are also removable (amazing driving experience). Soft top is expensive, i paid 1100$ for a soft top from BestTop.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy sucks! Interior needs improvement. Sound system sucks. Do not buy if your a student on a budget, sure you'll look cool but you'll also hate life (weigh your priorities)

Fun, thy name is Jeep!
By Badpork

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep and I love it! Got a good deal on a used Wrangler Sport with only 54,000 miles on it and it's everything I expected. Yep, the ride is stiff, gas mileage around 16 mpg and there's a good bit of wind noise but that's what you get with a Jeep! You wouldn't buy a horse and then complain about no air conditioning, would you? Enjoy it for what it is, a fun, go anywhere vehicle that you can modify as much or little as you want. You can get it muddy, run over bumps, drive through ice and water and if you take care of it, it will get you where you want to go. Fill the thing with gas and go find an adventure!

Favorite Features

Removable top, no frills design, high clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Hmm, a quicker way to get the hard top on and off would be nice.

Just plain fun
By robert

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am 58 years old and always wanted a jeep, but life got in the way. I am a pilot and marine captain. I own a beemer 5 series, an F150, and 2 Ford Focus. So if I want to haul, I take the f150, if I am going on road trip, it's the beemer, if I want to conserve fuel, it's one of the focuses. But if I want to have fun, it's the jeep. Bought it used and I had to replace the starter, the battery, and a few bulbs, but it's 6 years old. The ride is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, folks this thing is too much fun, you will find excuses to go somewhere. I can be heard saying, honey we need something from the store? Get one, the fun factor is worth it all.

Favorite Features

It will go in the bad weather and it's a convertible in the summer. It's just a blast to drive. Love the high ride and turning ratio, if you need to park, nothing better, maybe a motorcycle. Didn't mess with the top yet.

Suggested Improvements

Only issue is gas mileage, but if your worried about that buy a hybrid. A jeep is about fun and fun costs money.

I came back to the Jeep
By Jeep Life is Good

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 2004 I bought an 2002 Wrangler Sport. I loved it, but in Jan 06 sold it for a 2003 Land Rover Discovery w/ 20K miles. In over a year the Land Rover blew an engine and tried to kill me when the brakes failed. The 15 other annoying trips for service were only minor issues. Now it's 2007 and I am back in another 02 Wrangler Sport. Same color, miles and option as the old one. It's simple, fun and always works. Any problems can be fixed by me and internet Wrangler forums can show you how. It goes anywhere, looks classic and is cheap to purchase. Winter or Summer always bring a smile to my face in the Wrangler. Dump your heap and buy a Jeep.

Favorite Features

Fun, simple, easy. Turn the key and it goes. Out of every truck, luxury SUV and sports car I have driven. I still have the most fun in the Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Noise & small gas tank. I drove an 07 (JK) the other day, it's nice but not worth the extra money yet. It's a more mature version of the TJ but I will stick with the 2002 for now.

It's a Jeep!
By Marco

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I went from a Jeep Cherokee to a Wrangler. Wow what a difference. The Cherokee was bigger but lighter than the Wrangler (because of the unibody) The Cherokee was quicker but not nearly as fun to drive. The paint is horrible. It's so peeley but overall it's built well. The 4.0 is a very very solid motor. Other than a cracked exhaust manifold, there is no problems. Sadly this will be my last Jeep. The 4.0 is no longer made

Favorite Features

It's so damn fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. Anyone who complains about fuel is a fool. Diesel would rock.