Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

(Jeep TJ, Auto, under 100,000km on engine). Mixed Thoughts
By cam_

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this Jeep for almost 3 years. Here is what I have to say about these certain topics: Fuel Economy: It has the same fuel economy of a Honda Civic that has several holes in the fuel line. I average around 16 mpg during the winter and 19 mpg in the summer (All Stock Setup, Automatic Transmission). Do not buy this car if your concision about fuel. Do not drive over 110km/h..you wont make it to your destination. Driving: Interior is stone age compared to 2007+ models. Sound system sucks, speakers are made out of paper..literally. Off road is very fun, you wont get stuck. Getting into 4wL is tricky (high chance of grinding your gears) Reliability: Great, gas cap problem is common.

Favorite Features

Off road feature is great during the winter but impacts fuel economy greatly. Looks very aggressive. I get lots of positive comments. Lots of aftermarket parts, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for these aftermarket parts. These aftermarket parts also affect fuel economy, For example, upgrading to larger tires (33''-35'' tires), expect around 12-14 mpg. Soft top nice on hot days, doors are also removable (amazing driving experience). Soft top is expensive, i paid 1100$ for a soft top from BestTop.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy sucks! Interior needs improvement. Sound system sucks. Do not buy if your a student on a budget, sure you'll look cool but you'll also hate life (weigh your priorities)

Fun, thy name is Jeep!
By Badpork

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep and I love it! Got a good deal on a used Wrangler Sport with only 54,000 miles on it and it's everything I expected. Yep, the ride is stiff, gas mileage around 16 mpg and there's a good bit of wind noise but that's what you get with a Jeep! You wouldn't buy a horse and then complain about no air conditioning, would you? Enjoy it for what it is, a fun, go anywhere vehicle that you can modify as much or little as you want. You can get it muddy, run over bumps, drive through ice and water and if you take care of it, it will get you where you want to go. Fill the thing with gas and go find an adventure!

Favorite Features

Removable top, no frills design, high clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Hmm, a quicker way to get the hard top on and off would be nice.

Sahara4x4
By Bykryd

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent performance. The soft top is the weak link, as the Florida sun bakes the stitching and the roof falls apart. The engine is solid V 6 and only needed the head gasket replaced at 100,000 miles. Other maintainence was within normal limits.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with the roof down.

Suggested Improvements

Better soft top.

Fun in the sun
By Fireman Steve

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the most part, this is a fun vehicle to own. Keep in mind, however, that for some, a vehicle is a long term investment and you have to think about where you will be at 5 or even 10 years down the road of life. If you don't plan on taking many long trips, needing space for cargo, or many passengers, and if you can afford the gas, go for it. It is exceptionally fun to take the top down, go off road, and also handles great in the snow. If you have a family, take a lot of long trips, or feel the need for a smooth ride going to and from work, you may want to consider something a little bigger. I have had a Jeep Cherokee in the past which has many of the same capabilities as the wrangler.

Favorite Features

Off road and winter driving capability. The feel of the wind in your hair in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is probably the biggest thing, but also, more interior space. I highly recommend going with the unlimited or 4 door version if considering a wrangler. Short wheel base on the standard size Jeeps make for a long, bumpy, and noisy ride on long trips.

Just plain fun
By robert

2002 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am 58 years old and always wanted a jeep, but life got in the way. I am a pilot and marine captain. I own a beemer 5 series, an F150, and 2 Ford Focus. So if I want to haul, I take the f150, if I am going on road trip, it's the beemer, if I want to conserve fuel, it's one of the focuses. But if I want to have fun, it's the jeep. Bought it used and I had to replace the starter, the battery, and a few bulbs, but it's 6 years old. The ride is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, folks this thing is too much fun, you will find excuses to go somewhere. I can be heard saying, honey we need something from the store? Get one, the fun factor is worth it all.

Favorite Features

It will go in the bad weather and it's a convertible in the summer. It's just a blast to drive. Love the high ride and turning ratio, if you need to park, nothing better, maybe a motorcycle. Didn't mess with the top yet.

Suggested Improvements

Only issue is gas mileage, but if your worried about that buy a hybrid. A jeep is about fun and fun costs money.