Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Fun in the sun
By Fireman Steve

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the most part, this is a fun vehicle to own. Keep in mind, however, that for some, a vehicle is a long term investment and you have to think about where you will be at 5 or even 10 years down the road of life. If you don't plan on taking many long trips, needing space for cargo, or many passengers, and if you can afford the gas, go for it. It is exceptionally fun to take the top down, go off road, and also handles great in the snow. If you have a family, take a lot of long trips, or feel the need for a smooth ride going to and from work, you may want to consider something a little bigger. I have had a Jeep Cherokee in the past which has many of the same capabilities as the wrangler.

Off road and winter driving capability. The feel of the wind in your hair in the summer.

Gas mileage is probably the biggest thing, but also, more interior space. I highly recommend going with the unlimited or 4 door version if considering a wrangler. Short wheel base on the standard size Jeeps make for a long, bumpy, and noisy ride on long trips.

Great off road but lacks Fuel economy
By Sanders

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep in July of 2007 used it only had 48,000 miles and it now has 62,000. At first I was in love with this vehicle being able to just put back the top on sunny days. But then after a few trips with some Jeep clubs, I realized off roading is not good if it is your daily driver.

Great off road, Great rugged design

Bad fuel economy I got 12 mpg So it spent most it's time this summer parked

Fun car
By AJ

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

With gas at $3.70 in southern California, my jeep is getting a little hard for me to afford, getting a whopping 12 MPG. Extremely fun car to drive, great offroad capabilities, and sweet to have the top off and cruise out to the beach. Good car to have if you don't do a lot of commuting, maybe as a second car, just a toy. Haven't had much problems, one $500 fuel line problem. other than that nothing. fun car though

4x4, having a JEEP

Gas mileage gas mileage gas mileage

Jeep Country
By its.a.jeep.thing

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a Jeep things, either you love it or you hate it. Where I'm from, the mountains are everything. My 2002 Wrangler X took me everywhere through the mountains. Going along with 10 - 20 other Jeeps through the mountains & the mud made my weekend full of excitement. The short wheel base making it easier to get over hills & through mud. Although taking it through woods & mud & sand & water has tore some things up on my Wrangler, everything was simpley fixed by me! [& "me" being a girl!] Some people may choose not to use their Wrangler as an everyday vehicle, but it was my "everyday vehicle". Sure, gas mileage wasn't the best, but having my Wrangler was worth every penny.

4WD, short wheel base, removable doors, removable top, front & rear bumpers, dash, everything

Gas mileage, if that can't be altered w/out big changes, no need to worry about it!

Great 3rd Vehicle
By ragarver

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive. Pull the doors and roof off and enjoy the sun and beach. This is a well built and very reliable vehicle. Keep in mind, this vehicle has a very short wheel base and will wear you out on a long drive. The original Jeep has limited storage space and but is great for just enjoying a day of sun and fun. Words to the wise, opt. for the larger "Unlimited" or 4DR if this will be your daily driver.

It is a true 4WD convertible made for fun.

The introduction of the unlimited and 4DR (both with longer wheel bases) meets everyones needs. A stronger more efficient motor is always desirable.