2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2002 Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sort Reviews by

(Jeep TJ, Auto, under 100,000km on engine). Mixed Thoughts
By cam_

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this Jeep for almost 3 years. Here is what I have to say about these certain topics: Fuel Economy: It has the same fuel economy of a Honda Civic that has several holes in the fuel line. I average around 16 mpg during the winter and 19 mpg in the summer (All Stock Setup, Automatic Transmission). Do not buy this car if your concision about fuel. Do not drive over 110km/h..you wont make it to your destination. Driving: Interior is stone age compared to 2007+ models. Sound system sucks, speakers are made out of paper..literally. Off road is very fun, you wont get stuck. Getting into 4wL is tricky (high chance of grinding your gears) Reliability: Great, gas cap problem is common.

Favorite Features

Off road feature is great during the winter but impacts fuel economy greatly. Looks very aggressive. I get lots of positive comments. Lots of aftermarket parts, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for these aftermarket parts. These aftermarket parts also affect fuel economy, For example, upgrading to larger tires (33''-35'' tires), expect around 12-14 mpg. Soft top nice on hot days, doors are also removable (amazing driving experience). Soft top is expensive, i paid 1100$ for a soft top from BestTop.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy sucks! Interior needs improvement. Sound system sucks. Do not buy if your a student on a budget, sure you'll look cool but you'll also hate life (weigh your priorities)

Fun, thy name is Jeep!
By Badpork

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep and I love it! Got a good deal on a used Wrangler Sport with only 54,000 miles on it and it's everything I expected. Yep, the ride is stiff, gas mileage around 16 mpg and there's a good bit of wind noise but that's what you get with a Jeep! You wouldn't buy a horse and then complain about no air conditioning, would you? Enjoy it for what it is, a fun, go anywhere vehicle that you can modify as much or little as you want. You can get it muddy, run over bumps, drive through ice and water and if you take care of it, it will get you where you want to go. Fill the thing with gas and go find an adventure!

Favorite Features

Removable top, no frills design, high clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Hmm, a quicker way to get the hard top on and off would be nice.

Just plain fun
By robert

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am 58 years old and always wanted a jeep, but life got in the way. I am a pilot and marine captain. I own a beemer 5 series, an F150, and 2 Ford Focus. So if I want to haul, I take the f150, if I am going on road trip, it's the beemer, if I want to conserve fuel, it's one of the focuses. But if I want to have fun, it's the jeep. Bought it used and I had to replace the starter, the battery, and a few bulbs, but it's 6 years old. The ride is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, folks this thing is too much fun, you will find excuses to go somewhere. I can be heard saying, honey we need something from the store? Get one, the fun factor is worth it all.

Favorite Features

It will go in the bad weather and it's a convertible in the summer. It's just a blast to drive. Love the high ride and turning ratio, if you need to park, nothing better, maybe a motorcycle. Didn't mess with the top yet.

Suggested Improvements

Only issue is gas mileage, but if your worried about that buy a hybrid. A jeep is about fun and fun costs money.

I came back to the Jeep
By Jeep Life is Good

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 2004 I bought an 2002 Wrangler Sport. I loved it, but in Jan 06 sold it for a 2003 Land Rover Discovery w/ 20K miles. In over a year the Land Rover blew an engine and tried to kill me when the brakes failed. The 15 other annoying trips for service were only minor issues. Now it's 2007 and I am back in another 02 Wrangler Sport. Same color, miles and option as the old one. It's simple, fun and always works. Any problems can be fixed by me and internet Wrangler forums can show you how. It goes anywhere, looks classic and is cheap to purchase. Winter or Summer always bring a smile to my face in the Wrangler. Dump your heap and buy a Jeep.

Favorite Features

Fun, simple, easy. Turn the key and it goes. Out of every truck, luxury SUV and sports car I have driven. I still have the most fun in the Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Noise & small gas tank. I drove an 07 (JK) the other day, it's nice but not worth the extra money yet. It's a more mature version of the TJ but I will stick with the 2002 for now.

It's a Jeep!
By Marco

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I went from a Jeep Cherokee to a Wrangler. Wow what a difference. The Cherokee was bigger but lighter than the Wrangler (because of the unibody) The Cherokee was quicker but not nearly as fun to drive. The paint is horrible. It's so peeley but overall it's built well. The 4.0 is a very very solid motor. Other than a cracked exhaust manifold, there is no problems. Sadly this will be my last Jeep. The 4.0 is no longer made

Favorite Features

It's so damn fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. Anyone who complains about fuel is a fool. Diesel would rock.

It's a Jeep Thing. . .
By CJ's TJ

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Before I bought my '02 Wrangler Sport, I used to see the slogan "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Since owning it I do understand. Nothing compares to going off-road, climbing over hills and rocks, plowing through water or mud that is fender high, just to commune with Mother Nature. One thing I will say, the more you want to play, the more you pay. The acronym fits JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket, but it's been worth every penny.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, 4x4, powerful and torque engine, great sound system, durability, reliability, love getting a lot of compliments on how my Jeep is set up, not to mention the looks I get. H2 recovery kit: Standard.

Suggested Improvements

Jeep doesn't really need to change anything, there are so many products out there that one can personalize their Jeep to fit their personality. The only suggestion I can make is, don't try and make the Wrangler into a Hummer, leave that for the Commander.

Perfect Description
By TP

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes the exterior mirrors' paint comes off, yes the plastic windows scratch, yes the gas mileage is crummy, yes the interior is cheap, yes the sound system is inferior, yes the ride is bumpy, yes the tires clamshell, yes the softop is a pain, yes you need two people to change back the hardtop, yes the cargo room is small, and yes, I have bought two Jeeps in a row, because the driving experience is something to look forward to every time you get into it, from the day you buy it to your last day with it. Open air driving is incredible. Not worrying about every tiny imperfection, getting a little dog hair in it - priceless. It's stress free driving. Every time.

Favorite Features

Open air in the summer. 4 wheel in the winter. Make sure you get it with cruise control. Removable back seat. (I tote 2 labs daily). Getting the Jeep Wave (from every other passing Jeep). My kids love it. My kids friends love it. It's a toy that I can tow my other toys with.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would like Jeep to investigate is if they can somehow improve the gas mileage with changes to the engine, without changing the performance.

Wranglers Rock
By Paul

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If a great car should give you a feeling of excitement and happiness when you get in and turn the key, Wranglers have got to be near the top of the list. You don't have to drive a Lexus, BMW or other fussy sled to have a car that actually transports you while adding a kick to your daily life. Wranglers don't go 0-60 in a nano second. They don't fly through a line of cones in record time. Actually they don't climb boulders. At least not in my daily grind. But then, most commuters don't get to drive our country's beltway roads at rush hour going 150 mph. So, for fantasy, why not have a funmobile that is not afraid to pick up the mulch at Home Depot for a fraction of the cost?

Great Money Pit!
By Coleman

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Wrangler TJ. I have traveled all over the country. It has performed flawlessly. Ah, there are flaw though. Gas mileage is not that great. It has more torque than hp for speed. Plastic windows will scratch and fog over in time. The accessories will drive your bank account way down. Fun it is. Reliable - totally. Practical - not. Always in the build stage with all the aftermarket parts and accessories on the shelf.

Favorite Features

PARTS AVAILABILITY. Height. It is a Lego vehicle and can be worked on too easily.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage. Update cheap plastic dash. Line floor with a rubber LineX/Rhino type material. Undercoat pot metal underside parts. Change headers to stainless type material. Paint wheel mud guards as they do fade quickly.

Jeep Wrangler
By Carrie Cowell

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jeep Wrangler is definetly not a car for everybody, but for people that like a fun ride and don't mind the bumps, this car is great. The pro's are that it has 4 wheel drive in the winter and is a convertable in the summer. So you get the best of both worlds, and how many card do you know that you can do that. Also I like the feeling of freedom I get when I drive this car. Every time I get into my car it puts me in a good mood. The down sides are, it is not really great for groceries because there is not much storage space. And sometimes people complain about the bumpy ride. But all in all for me it is a daily escape and makes driving fun.

Favorite Features

I like the 4 wheel drive in the winter and taking the top off in the summer. I also like the look of the Jeep and that it sits up high like a truck, without being a full truck.

Suggested Improvements

I guess I would suggest make the soft top easier to take on and off, sometimes I find it hard to fit the pieces together. I would also recommend more cargo space. But I guess they already improved on that with the new Jeeps. Overall a great car.