Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sahara4x4
By Bykryd

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent performance. The soft top is the weak link, as the Florida sun bakes the stitching and the roof falls apart. The engine is solid V 6 and only needed the head gasket replaced at 100,000 miles. Other maintainence was within normal limits.

Fun to drive with the roof down.

Better soft top.

What Fun
By Jim Simmons

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Sahara is undisputed among the 4 wheel drives. It is one of the funnist vehicles I've ever driven. It handles sand, mud, dirt and rock like no other vehicle. One downfall to it is the gas mileage, the the power of the 4 litre motor makes up for the poor mileage.

The soft top, although loud while driving, is fantastic on nice days and you can get into nature in a convertable.

Better gas mileage and a quiter top would be nice.

My Jeep
By Jim

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a fun vehicle to drive, is excellent in the mud or sand. Handles well off road and living in Florida, I ride with the top down 80 percent of the year. One of the best things about a Jeep, is I can pretty much go anywhere I like without worries of getting stuck.

My favorite features are the convertable top and the four wheel drive.

Better gas mileage and an improved ride at higher speeds. Also better sound deadening would be great.

American Classic
By UncleMark

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm in Colorado. Guess what, the 3 speed auto on my 2002 Sahara does a better job than I can on our inclined "roads." I'm very tall and though the comfort level is far better for me than I thought it would be, it's no car. Gas mileage is actually good for hauling around that heavy transfer case all the time. Excellent seat comfort and support. Impressive fit, finish, build quality. Bad: lousy soft-top, but I run around in a safari or bikini and don't use it; hardtop when it's on is DELUXE. Outstanding air/heat (no wonder Mercedes uses the same). There are years of off-road features and refinement in the design of this outstanding vehicle. You should buy one before the 4.0L is gone.

Superb off-road handling and unsurpassed steering quality, and a better-than-average interstate traveler. Great air/heat, sound system, seat comfort, build quality, fit and finish. Removable good quality carpets, easy servicing for mechanic.

Terrible soft top; it broke apart when I first lowered it; haven't used it since because I'm almost always in open air in good weather. Soft tops have always been a problem for Wrangler. If there's a downpour, I throw a tarp over it: low-tech but it works.

BUYER BEWARE!
By fife5150

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My second and LAST Jeep (also bought a 1997 Sport new). I've had nothing but trouble with Jeep Wranglers. Can't believe I was stupid enough to buy another after all the problems with the first. The 2002 Sahara wouldn't start the other day -- had to have it towed. I'm a little more than 3000 miles outside warranty, so the fuel pump module was a nice $600 treat! Mechanic said much is prematurely wrong with this vehicle after his inspection. Total bill $1195! BUYER BEWARE!

I've always loved Jeep Wranglers. First vehicle I bought when I graduated college.

Extend the warranty! I would never consider purchasing without at least a 48/48000 warranty.