2002 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
(Jeep TJ, Auto, under 100,000km on engine). Mixed Thoughts
By cam_ on 12/28/13 13:25 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this Jeep for almost 3 years. Here is what I have to say about these certain topics: Fuel Economy: It has the same fuel economy of a Honda Civic that has several holes in the fuel line. I average around 16 mpg during the winter and 19 mpg in the summer (All Stock Setup, Automatic Transmission). Do not buy this car if your concision about fuel. Do not drive over 110km/h..you wont make it to your destination. Driving: Interior is stone age compared to 2007+ models. Sound system sucks, speakers are made out of paper..literally. Off road is very fun, you wont get stuck. Getting into 4wL is tricky (high chance of grinding your gears) Reliability: Great, gas cap problem is common.

Fun, thy name is Jeep!
By Badpork on 03/30/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep and I love it! Got a good deal on a used Wrangler Sport with only 54,000 miles on it and it's everything I expected. Yep, the ride is stiff, gas mileage around 16 mpg and there's a good bit of wind noise but that's what you get with a Jeep! You wouldn't buy a horse and then complain about no air conditioning, would you? Enjoy it for what it is, a fun, go anywhere vehicle that you can modify as much or little as you want. You can get it muddy, run over bumps, drive through ice and water and if you take care of it, it will get you where you want to go. Fill the thing with gas and go find an adventure!

Sahara4x4
By Bykryd on 08/02/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent performance. The soft top is the weak link, as the Florida sun bakes the stitching and the roof falls apart. The engine is solid V 6 and only needed the head gasket replaced at 100,000 miles. Other maintainence was within normal limits.

Fun in the sun
By Fireman Steve on 03/16/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the most part, this is a fun vehicle to own. Keep in mind, however, that for some, a vehicle is a long term investment and you have to think about where you will be at 5 or even 10 years down the road of life. If you don't plan on taking many long trips, needing space for cargo, or many passengers, and if you can afford the gas, go for it. It is exceptionally fun to take the top down, go off road, and also handles great in the snow. If you have a family, take a lot of long trips, or feel the need for a smooth ride going to and from work, you may want to consider something a little bigger. I have had a Jeep Cherokee in the past which has many of the same capabilities as the wrangler.

Just plain fun
By robert on 12/21/08 15:30 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am 58 years old and always wanted a jeep, but life got in the way. I am a pilot and marine captain. I own a beemer 5 series, an F150, and 2 Ford Focus. So if I want to haul, I take the f150, if I am going on road trip, it's the beemer, if I want to conserve fuel, it's one of the focuses. But if I want to have fun, it's the jeep. Bought it used and I had to replace the starter, the battery, and a few bulbs, but it's 6 years old. The ride is not as bad as I thought it would be. But, folks this thing is too much fun, you will find excuses to go somewhere. I can be heard saying, honey we need something from the store? Get one, the fun factor is worth it all.

Great off road but lacks Fuel economy
By Sanders on 11/17/08 15:03 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep in July of 2007 used it only had 48,000 miles and it now has 62,000. At first I was in love with this vehicle being able to just put back the top on sunny days. But then after a few trips with some Jeep clubs, I realized off roading is not good if it is your daily driver.

Fun car
By AJ on 04/10/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

With gas at $3.70 in southern California, my jeep is getting a little hard for me to afford, getting a whopping 12 MPG. Extremely fun car to drive, great offroad capabilities, and sweet to have the top off and cruise out to the beach. Good car to have if you don't do a lot of commuting, maybe as a second car, just a toy. Haven't had much problems, one $500 fuel line problem. other than that nothing. fun car though

Jeep Country
By its.a.jeep.thing on 12/19/07 09:30 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a Jeep things, either you love it or you hate it. Where I'm from, the mountains are everything. My 2002 Wrangler X took me everywhere through the mountains. Going along with 10 - 20 other Jeeps through the mountains & the mud made my weekend full of excitement. The short wheel base making it easier to get over hills & through mud. Although taking it through woods & mud & sand & water has tore some things up on my Wrangler, everything was simpley fixed by me! [& "me" being a girl!] Some people may choose not to use their Wrangler as an everyday vehicle, but it was my "everyday vehicle". Sure, gas mileage wasn't the best, but having my Wrangler was worth every penny.

Great 3rd Vehicle
By ragarver on 11/17/07 20:01 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive. Pull the doors and roof off and enjoy the sun and beach. This is a well built and very reliable vehicle. Keep in mind, this vehicle has a very short wheel base and will wear you out on a long drive. The original Jeep has limited storage space and but is great for just enjoying a day of sun and fun. Words to the wise, opt. for the larger "Unlimited" or 4DR if this will be your daily driver.

I came back to the Jeep
By Jeep Life is Good on 10/24/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 2004 I bought an 2002 Wrangler Sport. I loved it, but in Jan 06 sold it for a 2003 Land Rover Discovery w/ 20K miles. In over a year the Land Rover blew an engine and tried to kill me when the brakes failed. The 15 other annoying trips for service were only minor issues. Now it's 2007 and I am back in another 02 Wrangler Sport. Same color, miles and option as the old one. It's simple, fun and always works. Any problems can be fixed by me and internet Wrangler forums can show you how. It goes anywhere, looks classic and is cheap to purchase. Winter or Summer always bring a smile to my face in the Wrangler. Dump your heap and buy a Jeep.