Most Versatile, Fun, Sexy, Reliable Vehicle Ever Built
By jamesdoolin on
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
I bought my Wrangler new in June 2001 and now have 193,000 miles as of Oct.2011 Still runs STRONG. I've used it to pull a 28' foot parasail in open fields. I own a boat rental business and have been pulling and towing 5000 pound trailers for years even though its only rated to pull 2500. Can take a while to stop with 5000 pounds behind you though :) I use my Wrangler for advertising, I've got a large removable neon sign hanging between the roll bars in the back! Love to take the top down and the doors off and blast my music! Did a little 4x4 early on and it can handle it. Ice, snow, beach, no problem. Wranglers are great fun, if you don't like em then you're not fun. I'll keep mine 4ever.
Favorite Features
Favorites include soft top and removable doors. Some reviews/people say the top is hard to put up and down. Not really true, there are specific steps that you just have to follow and do it in the right order. Otherwise, you can struggle with it a bit. Temperature also affects this... warm temps make it easier because the fabric stretches a little more and cold temps the fabric tightens up making it harder. Doors literally lift off the hinges in 2 seconds. Extremely versatile vehicle with lots of modifications and customizations available. If stuck in traffic on the Interstate I can jump off road to the service road with ease. Wrangler is part of a life style, you have a reason for owning it
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage could be better. 17city/19highway is average. But I would NOT sacrifice hp or torque for better mileage. A removable back seat might be nice, just to have extra room when needed. The 2001 Wranglers just fold forward, but not removable. I hear the newer models 2008 and up went to a V6 instead of keeping the inline-6 like have. I'm told this results in a slight loss of power and towing capability. I love my 2001 Wrangler! I wish I could have afforded to buy 2 at the time. I take mine to the dealer every 3000 miles for oil change. Have kept every receipt in a well organized binder since day 1. Plan to get 500,000 miles out of this Wrangler, only 300k to go.